Salt Water, how long can it last?

• SRC Member

Just curious, the salt water that I make, will get spoilt if not use for quite sometimes? how long exactly it can last or is it no problem at all coz the water will just evaporate only right? pls explain to me....tks

• SRC Member

I did that once. I stored the extra salt water in a covered pail and used it for my next water change. I realised that most of my corals didnt open up. Rechange the water after a few days and everything was fine again. Now, I do not store salt water any longer.

• SRC Member

i did not tried that before.. but i think water circulation is very important, so maybe u can try placing a powerhead in the water u wan to store.. but i think mixing the water before u need it is more advisible. IMHO. :peace:

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
I did that once. I stored the extra salt water in a covered pail and used it for my next water change. I realised that most of my corals didnt open up. Rechange the water after a few days and everything was fine again. Now, I do not store salt water any longer.

anyone to contribute? All the while I have had this mindset that salt mix can last quite a while, whereas NSW needs to be aerated or circulated in storage possible. Does salt mix need to be aerated or circulated during storage as well? thanks for sharing bro penyu. :)

IMO it should be fine, and I personally have this mindset that the longer they are stored the more stable that they are. As salt is added to the water, it began a huge chain complexing action which is stressful to the livestocks.

The drawback is some unstable trace element like iodine will definitle be gone long ago. And you might find some slime in there.

I always use saltwater that is prepared one week or a few weeks ago and I have no problem. Just make sure that the SG is right, they tend to increase after storage due to evaporation.

• SRC Member

tks navyblue and the rest of you guys, i even thought so, coz some people says that even when u want to top up with freshwater, you need to store overnite, i guess it should be alrite, will change the stored saltwater this week and will let you guys know the outcome..

Bro Typrobin,

Yes salt water is not sterile, neither is your tank, if it is you will need to cycle it.

For example, when there is bacteria in food, bacteria will decompose the organic material, and after which the food will turn so call "bad".

But this theory does not apply to salt water simply salt water is totally inorganic, so there is nothing to decompose. Calcium, magnesium, sodium, chloride and etc ions do not decompose. Inorganic ions can not be utilised by bacteria as food. Organic content of tap water is negligible. And new salt water should not contain organic substance anyway.