Hardiness level

• SRC Member

Hi dudes,

Newbie here, seems like a great forum already.

Just started my marine tank 3 months back (pondered for 3 months too!)

I'm a proud owner of 2' tank with Eheim external filter, 2 yellow-tail damsels, 1 one-stripe damsel, 1 fire damsel, 1 cleaner wrasse

(RIP: 2 box-fishes, 1 fire shrimp, 2 camel shrimps, 1 yellow wrasse, 2 cleaner wrasses, 2 panther groupers, 1 red grouper etc etc)

As you can already see, I have become some kind of undertaker of marine live... :cry2:

I've learned through the hard way that damsels are the hardiest of fishes, can all you gurus advice on your opinions of hardy fishes?

PS: I WILL be patient and acc. before introduction from now on.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the reply, dude.

its been running for bout 2 to 3 weeks.

is there a max number for fishes/shrimps for a 2' tank?

very strong inclination to introduce more fishes i.e. clowns, red grouper..

• SRC Member

Hi Piero (forza Juve?),

can you share with me how i can measure/control NO2/NO3? and how it affect the water quality?

please advice this hairy ignorant wookie...

• SRC Member

thanks, morgie.

will endeavour, but the temptation is just SO strong...

the force is weak in this one...

Phewbacca,

Besides learning more on water chemistry as others have suggested, I urge you to read up on the livestock you are considering for purchase. IMO, and I believe many other responsible aquarists out there share my views, you should avoid:

Tangs, Angels, Butterflies, Groupers, Cleaner wrasse, parrotfish ... and this list is not exhaustive. The key reasons are:

1 they require large tanks

or

2 they require superb water quality

or

3 they are difficult to maintain for long in captive environment

or

4 they should be left in the wild (eg: cleaner wrasse)

or

5 ALL of the above reasons.

Hope this helps.

• SRC Member

Thanks FF,

Quite surprised to learned that there are some fishes being sold despite their nature (eg cleaners)

thanks for the input

• SRC Member

Phewbacca,

You have a 2 ft tank, so you should forget about groupers, Tangs, Angels and wrasses. They are too big. Also, please read up on compatibility as you can mix some of these fish. Most importantly, check your water for good Salinity, PH, KH, NH4, NO2, NO3 and Ca. These are the basic ones. This might be the reason for your long list of RIPs.

2 cts

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

Hi,

First off, I think you might want to stop adding fish, like Morgan has mentioned. Either sell/give away, otherwise you might have more casualties. Or you could separate them into another tank..

Then you might want to get yourself several test kits, like nitrite and nitrate, ammonium test kits. These are quite urgent, if you don't already have them. Read up on the nitrogen cycle to get a better idea.

Also take a look at the basic links AT has put up. These have been pinned, I think they were contributed by tanzy..can't remember, if I'm wrong do forgive me.

Check out the ID gallery at www.liveaquaria.com, and the info at www.wetwebmedia.com.

• SRC Member

i started adding and mixing my 2footer the weekend of CNY, and till now, I have not got any fishes. Whats inside the tank is a few Live rocks and a star polyp.

In the event, a lot happened, filter burst, flooded living room, circuit breaker tripped , got scoldings etc etc.

But I think its worth the wait, as the nitrite have gone to undetectable level since last week.

Its of grave importance that you be patient to make it a successful one. :peace:

sharing a newbie process..... :)

• SRC Member

Folks,

i have read up on the cycle, and realised my foolishness...

thats me in a nutshell - diving into things head first

thanks for the invalubable advice!

:thanks:

• SRC Member
Folks,

i have read up on the cycle, and realised my foolishness...

thats me in a nutshell - diving into things head first

thanks for the invalubable advice!

:thanks:

Phewbie,

Iona & nleong are right. So are the rest. Be very very patient & test yr water. I've learnt my lesson in the hard way. Can u imagine staring at a 3ft tank for 4 months with just 2 little fish swimming in it :cry:

Read & plan & ask as many question before u do a proper setup. U wud want to do it once & for all. That will save u lots of $$$ & time, IMO ;)

May the force be with u.