FL housing with Eballast

bwilly

:peace: My 2cents ,

One of the reasons for the pricing in FL and T5 housing would be the quality and reflector plays a very important part .

Certain T5 housing like AIT , D&D and XGlare is made to be total water-proof.

If i remeber right there is a different with the eballast used.

You mean ATI? :D

You can also add the Aquaristics T5 fixture to the list! ;)

• SRC Member

As barracuda mentioned, T12/T8 and T5 ballasts are not meant for each other.

Reason being the rapid start and slow delay feature. This may seem trivial but is supposed to increase the lifespan of your expensive T5.

Other than this, the wattage of FL and T5 is totally different. They are also different in length, ie 39W T5 is different in length to a equally rated 39W FL (if any).

T5 is High Output which means it runs on much higher voltage and current (power). It is not a energy efficient tube like FL and hence it manages to increase its luminance.

Theres also the thing about whether its electronic ballast or magnetic ballast. Theres a whole lot of technical issues related to this and its not so simple to cross use.

For heavens sake just use the right ballast for the right tube.

It like using a oven toaster to dry your clothes compared with a clothes dryer. Both can do the same job but how well and safe or reliable it is, is the question.

• SRC Member
Cookiemonster: can I continue to use my e-ballast for my T8 for my T5? I have been using it for many months but I don't see any danger. What is the danger of not using a specific T5 e-ballast?

There is no danger. But the chances are your bulb life will be reduced. And the T5 will not be as bright as a set which uses the correct eballast to run it.

A good eballast built for T5 is the OSRAM Quicktronic QT-FQ.

Read the following for more information about quictronic ballasts.

Fibel_Quicktronic_E.pdf