How to administer a freshwater dip safely?

I did one for my yellow tang yesterday in the hope of helping it to get rid of white spot. The result was disastrous! This is what I did: -

1) Prepare a pail with 5litre of freshwater from my RO unit.

2) Adjusted the ph of the freshwater up to 8.3 (same as the main tank).

3) Added 1ml of methylene blue to the freshwater

4) Transfered tang to the pail

5) Observed tang behaviour for as long as it was in the pail. It did not show any stress so I left it in the pail for 15 minutes.

6) Transfered tang from freshwater pail to another pail with saltwater of the same ph of 8.3

7) Tang flipped and rest on its side immediately but after a while it upright itself and appears to be ok.

8) Transfer Tang back to main tank where it was also feeding greedily as per normal.

9) It RIPed this morning :cry2: !

Where did I go wrong? Read in many articles that freshwater dip with methylene blue is very effective in getting rid of parasites. Help.

IMO it is pointless performing a FW dip to cure ich if you do not have a separate quarantine tank. Once you put the fish back into the main tank, there will still be free floating stages of the ich parasite. You'll only end up stressing the fish more. 15 mins in FW is already considered the maximum period you should leave the fish in FW. IMO 5-10 minutes will be safer.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
I did one for my yellow tang yesterday in the hope of helping it to get rid of white spot. The result was disastrous! This is what I did: -

1) Prepare a pail with 5litre of freshwater from my RO unit.

2) Adjusted the ph of the freshwater up to 8.3 (same as the main tank).

3) Added 1ml of methylene blue to the freshwater

4) Transfered tang to the pail

5) Observed tang behaviour for as long as it was in the pail. It did not show any stress so I left it in the pail for 15 minutes.

6) Transfered tang from freshwater pail to another pail with saltwater of the same ph of 8.3

7) Tang flipped and rest on its side immediately but after a while it upright itself and appears to be ok.

8) Transfer Tang back to main tank where it was also feeding greedily as per normal.

9) It RIPed this morning :cry2: !

Where did I go wrong? Read in many articles that freshwater dip with methylene blue is very effective in getting rid of parasites. Help.

Wah 15 min is too long. Max recommended is 5 min. Also freshwater dip will stess your fish even more.

Try feeding food soak with garlic rather than freshwater dip.

I have tried on my BT before and the fellow did not survive for long.

• SRC Member

I beleive best is to provide proper conditions for the fish.

I read here and there that in most cases, the fish can fight off the disease by themselves if they are in good conditions.

I had a case of BT which I bought and quarantined for 3 weeks. it seemed OK even if during that period it did seem to have a few spots for a few days.

Whe I transfer to the main tank, some white spots appear again... I got very stressed and did one atempt to catch it back, but realised it would be too dificult.

So I just let it there. It was feeding OK. I added some vitamines to the water just to make sure the fish all had good health. Avoiding stress to the fish is the best chance I think to get rid of the disease the natural way, by letting the fish fight back.

Now no problem. all are happy :D .

• SRC Member

Second to Domino. I also encounter the same problem by cathing them. So let nature take the course, and wonderful they recover.

IME, YT, PBT, BT.

I introduced 2 x Fire Shrimp and since than appearing ick is less frequent. However they still have a few spot here and there. I read somewhere it's happen when u on MH.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump