return pump pipping

• SRC Member

Hi, a question here, my return pump pipping consist of different sizes of pipes from

big to small and big to small with variation in diameter, not sure what is the long term stress impact to the pump. Return my fluid thermodynamic to the teacher

already cannot remember about the head and pressure loss. Will that shorten the life of the pump? Thanks.

• SRC Member

if my memory is good, when the flow goes from a bigger diameter to a smaller diameter, there is significant pressure loss, when you go from a smaller to a larger pipe, it leads to no pressure loss. logical...

The answer to your question is no. more pressure loss will mean lower flowrate. If your pump is of good quality with good components and produced corectly, it should not affect your pump lifespan significanly.

I insist on the quality and production process because a cheap pump, with a badly ajusted shaft, even slightly uncentered axis of rotation, with a shaft that corodes easily... will deteriorate exponentially fater under harsher conditions. So get a good return pump!! it's usually worth the extra bucks!