need some of your kind advise on lighting...

mwang

• SRC Member

hi,

i a newbie, seeking all the experts for some kind advises, i am currently having a 2ft marine tank, with one 2ft 55w blue/white flourescent light. 1 Prizm hang on protein skimmer, 2 power heads, and a Ehem external filter.

i like coral/anemone very much, would like to throw in few more into this tank. dun intend to keep fish, maybe 2 clown fish in future. can anyone advise me on the following:

1) i find that the lighting is not really bright enough, can you advise me where can i get a 2ft lighting system with stronger/ higher output? (not DIY type).

2) my tank temp is v. high (29-30 celcius), i know it's not really suitable for keeping coral/ anemone. intend to cool down the tank temp. Is clip-on fan good? any reconmended brand and where can i get it from?

or must use chiller? i know chiller is much better choice, but....$$$$$ :(

3) any reconmendation of "quieter"chiller for a 2 ft tank? (ie the model no).

thanks a lot!

mic

me no expert but here's me 2 cents, ;)

1) i find that the lighting is not really bright enough, can you advise me where can i get a 2ft lighting system with stronger/ higher output? (not DIY type).

can get the 2ft T5s from sponsor X-Glare. look up his aqualight thread in the sponsor's forum.

2) my tank temp is v. high (29-30 celcius), i know it's not really suitable for keeping coral/ anemone. intend to cool down the tank temp. Is clip-on fan good? any reconmended brand and where can i get it from?

or must use chiller? i know chiller is much better choice, but....$$$$$

an investment in a chiller in the long run will be a good idea. clip on fans for 1 thing spoils rather easily from my experience, but there r good fans ard according to some reefers here too. dun forget the high evaporation rate due to the fans and with a 2ft setup, definitely, the evaporation will look quite significant from ur tank.

3) any reconmendation of "quieter"chiller for a 2 ft tank? (ie the model no).

thanks a lot!

a reun CL-280 will serve ur purpose quite well. the chiller is small and rather quiet compared to his bigger sis and bros. :P as it has a small comp.

good luck!!! :lol:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

hi lighteningstrike! (i like yr name:)

real appreciate yr fast reply,

got it, maybe need to invest $$ in chiller!

1 more question, i sam the post on UV sterilizer, what is it, sound to me it's also a lighting sys plus some other function, can i just replace my current lighting with this UV sterilizer thing? is it bright enought?

thanks

mic

NO!!! u cannot replace ur current lights with UV sterilizer....... unless u wanna kena skin cancer. :P

do a search in the forum. i m sure u can find out more abt it's function.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

resun chiller CL280 should be good for your 2 ft tank.

i am using CL450 for my 3 ft tank, and is serving me (my fishes and corals) well.