Aquarium Schematic

Hi guys,

I am new to this hobby. I tried this hobby a long time ago and I always hit a wall. After all my poor lovely marine lives died :cry: . I decided to give it up, coz I don't think I should continue to take lives that way.

But since I found this website and see your pictures :shock: my passion is burning again :D . so I really want to do it right this time B) ... please advice on what I need and HOW TO PUT THEM TOGETHER.

so far I know these :yeah: :

1. Bigger aquarium means good!

2. DSB (very important)

3. SUMP

4. SKIMMER

5. FILTRATION

6. LIGHTING

7. MAKING OVERFLOW

8. DO and DON'T

But I don't know how to put them together :blink: , like where the water should flow out and where should it flow in. Should the water firstly go to the SKIMMER or FILTER... sorry guys, I m really newbie :rolleyes: .

Previous tank consist of: :paiseh: (STILL GREEN!!!)

1. Aquarium

2. Filtrations : 2 EHEIM (I forgot about the specs, cos it is quite long ago)

3. 1 wave-maker device

and that's all... (no wonder my lovely things all died, I am going to go back to that fish store whom ONLY teach me that far :angry: !!!) ROAR!!!

so guys please advice, a simple sketch for making the pipe flow would be a great help! :thanks:

Many-many THANKS!!!

• Like 1

First things first,

You are right, a bigger tank is better in a sense of toxic dilution

There are many ways for a fuge (Plenum, DSB, Cryptic, Mangrove etc) see which you are most comfortable with

A sump is an external resevoir of water so that you can do all your stuff there and not in the main display

Skimmer or no skimmer is really depending on your commitment, if you are those who are always rushing for time, a skimmer is good for you

Filtration depends on which type you are talking about but I personally dislike canisters :lol:

Lighting again depends on which type of animals you want to keep

You do not necessary need a overflow to connect the sump as you can use the I-box

Some DOs and DON'Ts:

Try to avoid any metallic parts

Do your research on the animal before getting them

Do not buy LS just for appearence (Sea Apple)

Never fully trust anyone

Do learn to admire and enjoy the hobby

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

I am new to this hobby. I tried this hobby a long time ago and I always hit a wall. After all my poor lovely marine lives died  :cry: . I decided to give it up, coz I don't think I should continue to take lives that way.

But since I found this website and see your pictures  :shock: my passion is burning again  :D . so I really want to do it right this time  B) ... please advice on what I need and HOW TO PUT THEM TOGETHER.

so far I know these  :yeah: :

1. Bigger aquarium means good!

2. DSB (very important)

3. SUMP

4. SKIMMER

5. FILTRATION

6. LIGHTING

7. MAKING OVERFLOW

8. DO and DON'T

But I don't know how to put them together  :blink: , like where the water should flow out and where should it flow in. Should the water firstly go to the SKIMMER or FILTER... sorry guys, I m really newbie  :rolleyes: .

Previous tank consist of:  :paiseh: (STILL GREEN!!!)

1. Aquarium

2. Filtrations : 2 EHEIM (I forgot about the specs, cos it is quite long ago)

3. 1 wave-maker device

and that's all... (no wonder my lovely things all died, I am going to go back to that fish store whom ONLY teach me that far  :angry: !!!) ROAR!!!

so guys please advice, a simple sketch for making the pipe flow would be a great help!  :thanks:

Many-many THANKS!!!

revine,

Hi, I'm new too, well 6 mths actually.... after buying the tank-- lock, stock and barrel, I've come to realised I'm way off in setup terms from where I want to be. So take this with a pinch of salt.... its wannabe newbie helping newbie. : ) Since you're just starting again, and having the list put up, it looks like your're headed in the right direction.

I think you've missed out on the chiller somewhere in the list.

So this is how I visualised the sequence of your water flow :

a) your overflow will take the water to sump

B) then from your sump to the skimmer

c) then the return pump back to the tank {I know it sounds stupid : )... do you still need a diagram for that?}

some questions :

i) how big is your new tank to be ? => it would help you decide on the size of your pump/s

& your lighting reqms, actually everything else

ii) Fowlr or mixed?

iii) assuming your dsb to be in tank and the "filtration" in your sump?

Oh, put the tank near somewhere with easy access to several electrical sockets (you're never enough)

mm

Bro,

there are too many things to write in a message to tell you everything... u may wanna read the pin-ups, also, go look at how others set up their tanks, under the members tank's section, u'll learn lots of stuffs there... Happy Reefing!

Vincent Ho :D

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Well reading up is definately good. But sometime too much can also make you more blur. I was like you 1 years back, blur blur after all those reading and end up spending a lot of $$$ on those unecessary crap stuff recommended by those lfs. Having either a marine fowlr or reef tank is a actually a vast knowledge that nobody can say they know everything or should i say it quite dfficult for someone to tell you all you need to know in a single thread reply to make your tank successful. It will be best for someone in this hobby you know to guide you along. You save a lot of money.Btw If you need help on anything can pm me, very free this month cause not working at the moment (leaving singapore in july for studies),can even go lfsing with you and get your stuff that you need, so you don't waste uncesscary $$$. I will try my best to help you.

• SRC Member

I believe getting the basic requirement is the utmost important to start with. e.g main tank as big as you can afford with overflow to a sump (as big as possible). Lightings, chiller, ca reactor can be added later when you are more experience in reefing.

A FOWLR will be a good start. After a few month, with more experience and reading up, you can then start corals. It is this time when you should think of lightings, chiller, CA reactor, etc.

Happy reefing

JC

• SRC Member

the best thing to do is to go a fellow reefer's place to see his setup... then u will noe how to setup ;)

if not, can find a reliable lfs (local fish shop) n see how his display tank is setup....

if u happen to live in the west, u can go to ML, at 178 Hong Leong Shopping Centre (along AYE), cos if u hav the capabilities n u wan to keep corals, u can hav a setup stg like that, with proper setup + refuguim... so must see how the sump is partitioned to support a refuguim ;)

I believe getting the basic requirement is the utmost important to start with. e.g main tank as big as you can afford with overflow to a sump (as big as possible). Lightings, chiller, ca reactor can be added later when you are more experience in reefing.

A FOWLR will be a good start. After a few month, with more experience and reading up, you can then start corals. It is this time when you should think of lightings, chiller, CA reactor, etc.

Happy reefing

JC

Totally agree with jc85 bro... the bigger the tank the more water, the more stable your parameters are... however, pls weigh the cost factor in, a 3 feet tank and a 4 feet tank cost very much difference in terms of maintainence & equipment... :) It can run up to too many $ks..... :)

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

the best bet is to mimic wat kind of equipments senior reefers are using....of course, this means that your wallet must be filled with notes, credit cards also can....

there's no single advise to sucess....most reefers learn it the hard way....thru hard knocks and severe headache, of course heartache as well....