Best cleaning/algae Eating cerw

Cedric Ko

Hi all, May I know what is your best algae eating crew you have and whether you encountered any problems? So far I've heard the following:

1. Emerald Crab (best cleaning crew out there but read that some are polyp nippers, any advice if I should get this) 

2. Lawnmower Blenny (read the thread from admin and thankfully mine feeds on pellets)

3. Scarlet Hermit Crab Are there any other cleaner crews that you recommend?

• SRC Member

For me, urchin is good but is a bulldozer, keeps carry frag and knock down stuff lol.

For sandbed- conch is very good; help turn sandbed

nassirus snail- also good, help eats leftover food and turn sandbed

hermit crab - good but keeps killing my snail for their shell exchange

sally lightfoot crab- good at eating leftover food, also help himself to dying fish lol. its quite big actually, duno if will be threat to small fish

emerald crab- good for bubble algae but heard they go rogue story, had one before never see them disturb coral

lawnmower- good utility fish, all day munching on rock and sand for algae

tangs and foxface - good utility fish for algae as well, but do be aware of tang aggression. Also ich magnet, need proper QT

cerith snail - also good for sandbed

starfish- i go for bristle star or serpent star for sandbed detritus eater. i personally avoid sand sifting fish or sand sifting starfish to protect my microfauna population.

magarita snail - i think is very good snail, saw it took out tough to remove algae on glass

turbo and trochus snail - also overall good snail but keep kena attack by my hermit

cleaner shrimp - also good shrimp, they also spawn frequently in my tank providing fish with additional food.

peppermint- good for apitasia but in high flow tank dont do well, be careful they look similar to camel back shrimp, camel back is not reef safe

thats all i know from my own exp. hope it helps. happy reefing!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 2

• SRC Member

also missed out sea hares- had one b4 eats hair algae as stated but dont last long in my reef tank. not really sure why it died as still a lot GHA for him to munch. Guess it may lack in food diversity other than GHA. Interesting to see it eat algae and poop small round poop at the other end haha. For me, i noticed its starts shrinking day by day and 1 day it just get blown around by the wavemaker and i know its gonner, took it out before the rumor tank nuker effect. (whether it nuke tank or not is not proven, guess nobody dare try it)

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

I actually have seahare in my tank that has been with me for more than 2 years but I can't seem to get enough food for him no matter how much I try... And he has been getting smaller and smaller (his about 20% of his original size 2 years ago). I upgraded from a 2ft to a 3ft by 2ft tank now and I plan to get him much more sand.. Hopefully he will grow back to his origial size. 

And thank you for your explanation at the top!