Dive equipment

silver2578

• SRC Member

i got y BC from LA when i was over there for work and leisure. It is a recreational BC.

Like what hammerhd had mentioned, what are u looking at? what is your budget?

I know of Wa*k*k* in concourse, selling Dacor BC plus regs for S$880++, that is if u are on a budget constraint.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

hmmm... am using jacket style myself, but am really tempted to get the back inflated types. Very slim profile, flexible use, and apparently better balance and control, and no weight belts needed. :yeah:

But then little or no pockets (this is a big plus to me), its heavier(baggage constraint?)

If you are looking at cheaper ones, why dont go for 2nd hand ones? know of a few frens that are constantly "changing " N "upgrading" their gear. think this is quite a common thing in diving. So, if you ask around, should be able to get a decent BCD at a reasonable price off frens. :peace:

• SRC Member

My guess is that by starting a new thread titled something like :

Good money offered for reasonably new, good condition, 2nd hand BCDs,

size (xxs-xxl) etc, should have at least a couple of genuine sellers? :D

I'm sure considering how expensive reefing and diving is, there will be a lot of reefers who will be willing to trade some unused BCDs for a nice sps frag etc. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Was thinking of something cheaper. Any shops to recommend? I've never actually used back inflated BCDs. Is it better then the normal jacket BCDs?

thanks HammerHd/Kelstorm

silver :peace:

back inflated BC are usually known as tech BC, they are usually streamlined and u can add additional pouches to them. The more common ones are like Dive Rite, Halcyon, although other brands like Zeagle, Sherwood, ScubaPro, Oceanic do have them.. They come in varies Lbs of Lift, and also allow the diver to modify the BC to suit the dive, eg. twin tanks, with additional a pony tank.

Also, tech bc is not very comfy on the surface as the air bladder is at the back, forcing the diver to face down, thus, u need to lean backwards on the surface. For Jacket style, it provides a armchair style which wraps ard the body, making the diver to have a upright position.

Thus, it is your call, unless u are planning to go tech, it would be good to get one. otherwise, it might be good to stick to jacket style. However, i do know of some divers who do recreational yet uses back-inflated BC. At the end of the day, it is still very much your call.

A second hand back-inflated BC such as Halcyon can cost ard S$800, depending on the seller. This is because such BC usually come in 3 parts, the harness, the back plate and the air bladder, which can cost up to S$1200+++.

u can check out yahoo auction to look for them. sometimes they are on sale... however, if u should decided to get one, do get it serviced before using it.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

My guess is that by starting a new thread titled something like :

Good money offered for reasonably new, good condition, 2nd hand BCDs,

size (xxs-xxl) etc, should have at least a couple of genuine sellers? :D

I'm sure considering how expensive reefing and diving is, there will be a lot of reefers who will be willing to trade some unused BCDs for a nice sps frag etc. :rolleyes:

M size of brand A might be different from M size of brand B. Be aware of it. Try before you buy.....

• SRC Member

kelstorm-Back inflated Bcs are not knwn as tech bc..

Look at seaquest balance. it will get laugh off the boat if u post it at fins there. ;)

A jacket bc can range from 500$-$800

depending on its brand.

Try not to buy on impulse. Stop think and consider.

Do i really want a jacket bc??

Have u try a back infated bc b4??

Try both kind of bc 1st b4 buying.

Dont say" i have used a jacket bc during my OW so i must buy a jacket BC"

borrow 1 and try 1st b4 buying

My 2cents worth

Cheers

HH

thanks all for the info,

i was initially tempted to get a jacket BCD, since everytime i go diving, the rental bcds are not in the prime of conditions and though its not that they are not good enuff for a leisure dive, i was hoping to have some personalised equiptment for a more comfortable dive :lol: .

Having said such, I'm aware of the backinflated BCDs and the tendancy for these BCDs to push the body towards the water on the surface. Although i'm tempted to go for these BCDs, i'm afraid my budget wouldnt allow it :D

Have my mine set on gettin a second hand Jacket BCD, so anyone thinkin of upgrading or who noes anybody else who wants to let go a decent BCD :heh: , pls PM me.

Thanks!

Silver :peace:

• SRC Member
Back inflated Bcs are not knwn as tech bc..

opps..sorry.. most of the time the back floatation BC that i see my friends using are Dive Rite and Halcyon or OMO and most are tech divers, thus the relation.. hehehe... Never really seen seaquest or zeagle etc in action although i know there are back floatation ones, just did not know that they are similar to jacket style as well... my idea of back floatation are tech BC... hehehe... thanks for clarifying.. dun want the poor chap to get the wrong idea like i do.. :P

• SRC Member

opps..sorry.. most of the time the back floatation BC that i see my friends using are Dive Rite and Halcyon or OMO and most are tech divers, thus the relation.. hehehe... Never really seen seaquest or zeagle etc in action although i know there are back floatation ones, just did not know that they are similar to jacket style as well... my idea of back floatation are tech BC... hehehe... thanks for clarifying.. dun want the poor chap to get the wrong idea like i do.. :P

its ok bro. just to tell him that only ;)

• 2 weeks later...