Chillers

ryz

• SRC Member

I've been thinking of getting a chiller. But I need it to be energy efficient. I'm running 150W MH(10hrs) 40W FL(12hrs) and 36W(24hrs) over my 3by2by1.5 tank and 2by1.5by1.5 sump.. Can anyone advise any chiller that is energy efficient? I wanna keep my electrical charges low.

I've been looking at some chiller and seems like Resun cl650 is quite cheap. but it is 650W! very expensive to run. I'm also considering cookiemunster's pacific coo chillers. I've pmed him asking about the price. haven't replied yet. anyway the 1/2 hp pacific coo chiller is 550W so the 1/4hp(enough for my tank???????) should be 275W?? Is this energy efficient? are there more energy efficient ones?

I'm looking for a considerably cheap yet energy efficient chiller. My mother complaining about electricity charges. Hope the cost price not too ex too.. Know that I might seem a little too demanding wanting best of both worlds. but no choice.. Actually I'm willing to spend slightly more lah on a energy efficient chiller that doesn't break down(at least not so soon). My budget is around 500-600? got such good free lunch or not? or do I have to pay 1000++ for such a chiller? :( :(

Anyone has any suggestions? Anyone using pacific coo chillers? Any reviews? Daeil chillers good? price range? any reviews?

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

Daeil & Artica Chillers are identical and they are from the same manufacturer. If I am not wrong, Artica OEMed from Daeil.

If you need to know how much HP or BTU is required for your tank, take a visit to http://www.jbjlighting.com where you can size a chiller.

Damage is $1K+ but you will save in the long run in terms of power consumption and fyi, my 6ft footer is cool by a Artica DBA-150 (only 1/5 HP) and only consumes 150W.

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member
Damage is $1K+ but you will save in the long run in terms of power consumption and fyi, my 6ft footer is cool by a Artica DBA-150 (only 1/5 HP) and only consumes 150W.

nim75sq

is the Artica DBA-150 quiet? do you have the spec to share?

I am looking to buy a good chiller (low wattage) ... i am setting up a 36"x24"x24"(tank) and 30"x18"x16"(sump) using only 4 x 39watts T5..

Power = 150watts

Price = ?

Warrant period = ?

Where did you get it from = ?

Most importantly, how often does it run in/out ? (example: Once every hour, each run 3-4 hours??) can give me some indication based on your tank...

LiveRock...

• SRC Member

went to the website and saw the artica chiller... seems very good. with small footprint and it claims to be energy efficient. Maybe can get DBE200(1/4 hp) or DBE150(1/5 hp) for my tank... anyone knows where to get artica chillers? nim75sg u bought ur DBE150 for how much? where u buy? 1/5 hp only leh. can cool 6 footer efficiently meh? how often it kicks in? wan to save electricity also so dun want it to kick in so often and run almost half a day.

Think I get 1/4hp chiller. good enuf to chill my tank? should be ok right? so now either daeil, daeil and artica same make? the footprint size also same small small lah? can someone provide details on both? 1/4 hp daeil and artica... both got 2 year warranty ah? onsite warranty? Pacific coo the service seems quite good. but a bit bulky?

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

just want to add few comments when choosing a chiller, this is how I view it IMO

a. Tank size with Dimension not in gallon or litre. Include the size of sump as well.

b. Type(T5 or MH) and wattage of light used.

c. What Temperature does chiller cut in and out. This is based on the chiller internal thermometer.

d. Total time needed for C to happen

e. At what time of the day is D being measure, Afternoon or night? Must be with full light on listed in B.

f. the temperature recorded should be base on a external thermometer and not the chiller internal one. All measurement should be base on a external thermometer.

Take note that item F make alot of different, if it is a internal one, once the chiller start, immediately you will see the reading drops in respect to the external thermometer which might not even change. That is why people always claim that in 15min, the tank will drop 1 degree, I strongly believe this is base on the readout from the chiller and not the external thermometer.

What I have listed is what I think the most important factor to consider when chosing a chiller with actual results tested by each chiller owner.

• SRC Member
just want to add few comments when choosing a chiller, this is how I view it IMO

a. Tank size with Dimension not in gallon or litre. Include the size of sump as well.

c. What Temperature does chiller cut in and out. This is based on the chiller internal thermometer.

e. At what time of the day is D being measure, Afternoon or night? Must be with full light on listed in B.

f. the temperature recorded should be base on a external thermometer and not the chiller internal one. All measurement should be base on a external thermometer.

Take note that item F make alot of different, if it is a internal one, once the chiller start, immediately you will see the reading drops in respect to the external thermometer which might not even change. That is why people always claim that in 15min, the tank will drop 1 degree, I strongly believe this is base on the readout from the chiller and not the external thermometer.

What I have listed is what I think the most important factor to consider when chosing a chiller with actual results tested by each chiller owner.

Clowntrigger,

:thanks: for sharing... helpful !!

LiveRock

• SRC Member

One more item to add, how many powerhead are in the water and what is their wattage....

you should check out damsel_in_distress's chiller. one big piece of equipment. hehz.

ryz...

go down to Marine Life and ask for the Daiel chiller...Henry will be more than glad to update you on it. alternatively, you can always scout around for a Teco RA640. I'm using it for my 4ft tank and its really efficient. quiet as well.

• SRC Member

ryz,

just found out from my source that Artctica DBA-075 (S$1000)and DBA-150 (S$1300) with 2 year warranty and during warranty FOC ½ yearly chiller maintenance(gas, cleaning,etc)..

I am considering the DBA-150 .... wondering DBA-075 enough for me or not. I am having 36"x24"x24" tank with 30"x18"x16"sump... and 4x39w T5 only ...

anyone advise please... thanks ...

LiveRock :D

• SRC Member

still waiting for reply from cookiemunster on the price of 1/4 hp Pacific COo chiller... he still haven't reply leh... anyone know the price? or do they even produce 1/4 hp chillers? or all 1/2 and above?

Live and Let Live

doubt 1/4 is produced. not really efficient.

In trade reduce of range of products gives better profit.. haha..

RA640? I tik out of your range, near $2k

u should look at the new resun, I "hear" like got mountain n sea.. haha..

go for the 1/2hp, octopus bay is selling for $750 for a new set. :)

• SRC Member

but resun 1/4 hp already 650W. my mom will kill me for the electrical bills. wah teco so ex... now 1/2hp copper coil chiller from pacific coo is 1200++ dunno whetehr should get... dunno if he got lesser hp one or not. If got then maybe I'll get 1/3 or 1/4 hp.. copper and titanium coil what difference? titanium more long lasting?

Live and Let Live