Checking on acceptable KH range

• SRC Member

Currently my tank is having the following parameters :

Cal :420

PH :8.2

KH : 7 meq/L = 19.6 KH

Mag : 1230

Understand to color up the sps - the higher the KH the better it is . I just want to know if the KH is alright. I am using seachem test kit. It says that 1 meq/L is equal to 2.8 KH meaning 19.6 KH. Isn't that freaking high ?

Keeping a only few SPS to try out and LPS.

Any comments welcome.

• SRC Member
Should I add the cal supplement so that the KH will drop. Any good Cal supplement to recommend ?

Using Salifert cal test kit.

there is some good coverage relevant to your problem here :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Read the chart, yours is in "Zone 3".

Adding some calcium supplement will help for an off-the-charts KH... however since your calcium is already at optimum levels, it wouldn't be any more helpful. The corrections specified there are meant for those with lower calcium levels.

Also pls note that adding more Ca will not "drop" your KH... it may balance your parameters.

JMHO, but it could be a good idea if you do a 50% water change, insteady of trying to balance by additives...

Curious to know how you got yourself to this stage? Alkalinity buffers?

rgds,

mm

• SRC Member

Yah .. itchy backside ... added some KH buffers ... :ph34r:

thanks for the info ... I have read that article just before you send to me.

As my cal also dropping if I maintain my cal ractor at 1 bps ... so I pump up my cal reactor further more to 3 bps .. and it maintain at 420 ppm for cal. So I think as a result the KH is push up further to 19.

This morning I added some Cal buffer looks like the cal is moving up and the KH dropping to 14. keeping my fingers cross.. if still cannot I think got to change water ....