The New Pacific Cool 0.75 Chiller

IanJ

I have used several chillers over the last years ranging from Teco to Haliea. Due to the unexpected demise of the 880 Haliea I needed to find a new suitable chiller.

Tank is 60x27x24, sump, 854 watts of lights, approx 300 watts of pumps. From previous experience I knew that a 0.5hp chiller would not be able to cope with my tank heat input.

The chiller feed/return is not ideal but has to suffice, feeding and returning to the sump.

After approaching Pacific Cool there appeared to be only 2 options, a not powerful enough 0.5hp and the expensive to run 1.25hp. Pacific Cool kindly lent me a 0.5hp model to test my view that 0.5hp would not be suitable. The chiller was very quite, low heat output, but as expected could not hold the tank temp constant with the lights on.

After further discussion and my objection to using a 1.25hp model, they agreed to make me a custom 0.75hp model with a larger heat exchanger. The advantage of such a set up is a running load quite similar to the 0.5 model, but the compressor uses the environmentally friendly R134A gas.

I have now run a few tests on this model and I am satisfied with the results so far.

Since I feed from and return to the sump there is a temperature differential of 2 DegC from the chiller reading and the tank temp when the chiller is cooling. When the desired temp is obtained and the chiller switches off the chiller reading stabilizes to the actual tank temp.

The chiller is feed by a Ehiem 1060 (2280 Lit/hr) the sump/tank return is Iwaki MD55(4200 lit/hr?).To compensate for the temp differential I set the chiller start temp to 27 DegC and the cut off temp 24 DegC, this gives an actual tank temperature of 27 DegC on start up and 26 DegC on cut off. With all the lights and pumps running, from 26 DegC it takes 65 min for the tank to rise 1 DegC and the chiller switches on.

The chiller switches off approx 90-120 mins later with the tank at 26 DegC. These set times allow a reasonable chiller running time so the room does not get too hot(keeps the wife happy) and a very stable tank temp(keeps me happy).

It’s a little noisier than the 0.5 model, but not so intrusive.

For those of you who look for a chiller between the usual 0.5 and 1.25hp models, you may want to contact Pacific Cool since this may become a standard model in the range.

My thanks to Kwok, who provided an unquestionable first class service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

huh??? i dunno what u r trying to say. this is a product review thread mind u...... <_< what has this entire thread has to do with a Resun chiller. Pls do try to keep this clean.

:off: and btw, i hv not heard of the CL-350 b4, unless it is something new. The Pac Coo is a locally assembled product, not from Germany.

juz me 2 cents. no offence intended.

Peace. :)

yea...the pac cool is a very very good unit(the later models)..solid chilling power.i think u should read this up...

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=586 ;)

Any idea what's the price range of Pacific Cool chiller? Saw one at a reefer's place.. very quiet and according to the reefer very effective.

u can contact cookiemunster for more details on it. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png