My $10 Miniature Fluidised Reactor

Eric

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Eric,

How this thing work? Can you show which is input and output? Hope u dun mind and ur advise. Thanks :rolleyes:

Charlie

Left is Input, right is output.........water is pump in through the input to the bottom & slowly raise up reacting with your media(carbon or rowaphos) to the top & exit from the output(put a netting at the output to prevent any media from escaping into ur sump.)

Eric

post-9-1090037454.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

HI, I am a new member... was browsing thru the DIY section as I am a DIY Kinda of person myself...

For your F.Reactor, How come you don't use those 1½ltr or 2ltr Plastic Softdrinks bottle? Drill a hole on the side wall near the base, silicon/epoxy a PVC pipe (for inlet)... a plastic mesh to be attached at the end. To prevent the filter media from flowing out when pump is turned off (purposely or accidentally).

Then for the outlet... depending on the outlet pipe Φ... silicon/epoxy a PVC pipe directly on the bottle mouth... If Φ is smaller, either drill a hole on the cap... again Silicon/Expoy the pipe on the Cap... then screw on!

Using a funel, the filter media can then be loaded into the Softdrink bottle... This will further CUT COST to maybe $2 for the PVC Pipe and ahesive agent... :P

Concept roughly the same as my DIY Filter... See Here!

• SRC Member

My DIY version, insump but cost ~ free (less pump). Put media into 1.5 litres bottle (normal soft drink type). Connect a hose from a 600 l/h pump and push the other end of the hose into the bottom (or near bottom) of the bottle. And you have you FR ;)

• SRC Member
HI, I am a new member... was browsing thru the DIY section as I am a DIY Kinda of person myself...

For your F.Reactor, How come you don't use those 1½ltr or 2ltr Plastic Softdrinks bottle? Drill a hole on the side wall near the base, silicon/epoxy a PVC pipe (for inlet)... a plastic mesh to be attached at the end. To prevent the filter media from flowing out when pump is turned off (purposely or accidentally).

Then for the outlet... depending on the outlet pipe Φ... silicon/epoxy a PVC pipe directly on the bottle mouth... If Φ is smaller, either drill a hole on the cap... again Silicon/Expoy the pipe on the Cap... then screw on!

Using a funel, the filter media can then be loaded into the Softdrink bottle... This will further CUT COST to maybe $2 for the PVC Pipe and ahesive agent... :P

hi...doesnt your motor pump gets overheat?Isnt it suppose to be those submerge type of pump? :thanks:

Before letting run in my 1½ft tank... I let the fellow run in my toilet for a week... every morning (before work) and evening (after work) I made a check... surprisingly the pump isn't hot... It is just warm to the touch...

after 2 week 24/7 operations I decided that the DIY filter is ready and had work for about 6month plus until 1 month back I got a Eheim Liberty 200 as a gift...

Quite efficient actually but my wife kept telling that it is ugly <_< and kept Nagging about the FIRE HAZARD! :cry2: THEN SHE BOUGHT A LIBERTY200 for me :blink: BO PIAN L L removed it :D

• SRC Member

hihi, softdrink bottle shouldnt be use too long as it will disintegrate. Not really consider food grade plastic.

softdrink bottle shouldnt be use too long as it will disintegrate. Not really consider food grade plastic.

If I am not wrong... plastic are not biodegradable... meaning it will still be here even after you and I are not :D You refering to the plastic hardening, discolour and cracking? that will take sometime... (unless bottle is left under direct sun light to bake...)

Anyway the Plastic Bottle used to store food for human consumption. Manufacturer must adhere to the strict hygiene standard... So how can it not be Food grade? Of Cos Newspaper reported them to be "Cancerogenic"... BUT only under certain condition. I Would prefer to use POKKA Bottles, as they are thicker and thus stronger!

When times comes to change. Take an hour or 2 DIY a new bottle. Then wait the prescribe time for the silicon or epoxy to cure completely. Next water test a few days for leaks. Finally if results are good, throw away the old bottle and everything in it (or transfer the BB Mature media to the new one) and fit the new bottle and the cycle restarts.

I DIY to SAVE $$$ (of cos, I environmentally Friendly too) not entirely for satisfaction. Usually If I would want to recycle existing materials at home or something I come across in the rubbish... It would bring cost down.

• SRC Member

Hi,

Bro, Can you elaborate more on how it work. I only see the In/Out, what is the center pvc pipe for?. Thanks

The picture is the view of the cover upside-down, the pvc pipe is the water inlet, get it ?

i didnt get it at first when i saw it, :D

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

The picture is the view of the cover upside-down, the pvc pipe is the water inlet, get it ?

i didnt get it at first when i saw it, :D

thks bro .. yep the centre pipe lead the water way below .. then spreading them thru pressure .. & passing thru the carbons then strainer (thick foam) then out into sump .. .. sorry for the lousy pics & hijacking thread ..

mydog.gif

this is mine :P

Nicky,

Look great, but I don't think it's cheap! From the looks of it, you are using a water filter housing. These things cost about $50 (cheapest I've seen so far). Cheaper to get the actual FBF :rolleyes:!! Check out the Bulk Buy section.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius

• SRC Member

:paiseh: .. so X har .. ??

well resun fr deal looks good .. will chk out its quality when it comes :P

diy is an idea/hands On experience of making whatever available to U to make things lor .. able to make it cheap of cos good .. end of the day must work & ease of maintainence right? .. ;)

paiseh to hijack again kekeke

mydog.gif

• SRC Member

bro, just a question on FR DIY, how big should the canister be? Been trying to find 1 of those screw top tupperwares but the longest I could find is about a foot long and arnd 3" in diameter, would it be enough? Or do I put them in a series to increase volume? found 1 for $1.50 each near my place

1. Via-Aqua MultiSkimmer - $25.00

2. DIY Kalk Reactor - $25.00

3. Atman Protein Skimmer - $25.00

PM Me if interested.