Visible changes during tank cycling

• SRC Member

I`ve been cycling my tank for abt 1 week plus and i could see that algae are starting to grow and my sand turning brown....i would like to know what causes this to happen and also what are the changes which i will see when my tank is still in cycling and how to identify them..thanx

I`ve been cycling my tank for abt 1 week plus and i could see that algae are starting to grow and my sand turning brown....i would like to know what causes this to happen and also what are the changes which i will see when my tank is still in cycling and how to identify them..thanx

the brown stuff that u mention may be diatom ... that is due to nigh nitrate and silicate ...

lotsa interesting stuff during cycling such as worm and crab die due to high ammonia ... maybe water may turn cloudy ...

how big is ur tank ??

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

if ur NH4 and NO2 are both zero and ur nitrate has a significant high value , t could possibly indicate that your cycling is over ...

but u have only cycle for a week , i suggest u cycle for a bit longer ... save money hee hee

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

oOo..dats fast..i planning to cycle it for abt 3 more weeks....but will the diatoms disappear?..if it does how long will it take?..mayb i can use its disappearance as a sign that i can start stocking up slowly.. :blink:

oOo..dats fast..i planning to cycle it for abt 3 more weeks....but will the diatoms disappear?..if it does how long will it take?..mayb i can use its disappearance as a sign that i can start stocking up slowly.. :blink:

all my algae including cyanobacteria was gone like after 6 months ... yes ROWAphos and contra does help in eliminating nuisane algae ...

u can start stocking slowly once cycling is over but the word SLOWLY is impt for a new system to stabalise ...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

• SRC Member

aiyoo...5 mths...i thought of getting those Fluidised Reactors but now saving money for a 2nd hand chiller and 2nd hand skimmer...found 1 guy with a 2nd hand chiller liao but he nv reply me :( .....i oso got no time to msg him again :lol:

• SRC Member

all my algae including cyanobacteria was gone like after 6 months ... yes ROWAphos and contra does help in eliminating nuisane algae ...

u can start stocking slowly once cycling is over but the word SLOWLY is impt for a new system to stabalise ...

yeah....SLOWLY so dat the system can stabalise and also so that my wallet can also stabilise :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
hi hammy, how do i use the rowa stuff? if i dun hv Fluidised Reactors and not running sump. i'm using ext canister filter

a FR will enhance the properties of ROWA and make the removal of sio2 and po4 more effective ...

i think u can place it in ur canister ... use to do that and it work just fine for mi ... ;)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets