Powder Blue or yellow tang?

• SRC Member

actually i was comtemplating which one to buy when i was at ML yesterday... but decided against PBT because its more sensitive to poor water quality (heard from reefers). Since my tank is rather new ( close to 1 month after cycling), I went for a YT first... will go for a PBT in a few months time. Anyway the YT is doing very well.. feeding on the dried seaweed i put in...

Another point to take note PBT needs a lot of space to swim.. they can swim really fast.. so a large tank would be needed... some would even say that 4ft wouldnt be enuff.. but i think a 4ft would be the minimum... ;)

• SRC Member

hi Ekia, i was having the same situation yesterday evening, wondering shd i get PBT or YT, wanted to get the PBT, but now.......after reading yr advise, i think i better think twice :)

thanks

Anymore? anyone?

• SRC Member
hi Ekia, i was having the same situation yesterday evening, wondering shd i get PBT or YT, wanted to get the PBT, but now.......after reading yr advise, i think i better think twice :)

thanks

Anymore? anyone?

lol.. so we were considering the same thing yesterday?? lol... really wanted to get the PBT.. its so much nicer.. but went with my head rather than my heart in the end

• SRC Member
ya, same here, i find that it's much nicer (although yellow tank is nice as well).

is ML having "small" YT and PBT ?

YT various sizes as of yesterday... got at least 20-30 of them...

2 PBT... rather small... abt 3inch

• SRC Member

It's very true that PBT will get ich easily if your tank is not "matured" enough but it is very rewarding to watch them swimming.

Personally, I believe that PBT belongs to those "most difficult" Tang to keep eg AT, Gold-Rimmed Surgeon Fish, Pyjama or Clown Surgeonfish

If you can provide good water condition, no temperature swings, sufficient diet and appropriate environment then you minimise the chances of them getting infection.

IMO, you can place the PBT & Yellow Tang in a 2ft tank if they are small in size (about 3") but must prepare to move them to a larger tank.

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

Purple Tang is a hardy fish and also the most aggressive one in the A Coeruleus species.

Should be the last one in this specie to be in the tank.

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member
Purple Tang is a hardy fish and also the most aggressive one in the A Coeruleus species.

nim75sg... u r YT lover?

anyway my YT from ML already feeding on nori already.. and swimming in the open already... second day only... very healthy as well... recommended! hehe

• SRC Member

1. A. Coeruleus as in Acanthurus Coeruleus? Thats the Atlantic Blue Tang. The atlantic blue is quarrelsome as a juvenile, but has been noted to tone down on maturity.

2. The Purple tang is a Zebrasoma, not an Acanthurus. :)

Between yellow tang and PBT, both are nice and graceful. Think the ich problem puts ppl off the PBT. plus the yellow tang a bit more striking colour.

My purple tang is the one that gets bullied by the rest of my tangs. So don't think its that aggressive.

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

1. Remove coral chips and ceramic rings and replace with live rocks. removed...looking for live rocks now

2. get rid of most of the filter cloth

3. First Buy!!! Skimz FR with Sorb4 and eheim pump

4. Re-doing the sump.....I~aquatic doing up the plans.

5. Lighting MH+T5 or T5 only? how many?

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

8. check valve on the return line to prevent sump overflow (great idea)

9. Refugium? Anything to replace it? a FR of some sort maybe?

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

3x False Percula Clownfish

• SRC Member

Yup .. the Purple Tang belongs to the Zebrasoma species and they are tough nuts too. Just like the Yellow Tang which is highly territorial too.

Aiyah .. Still excited about that Atlantic Blue Tang which I got recently from AI and that why A. Coeruleus keeps haunting me mah. ;)

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

Yes .. eating primary OSI Spirulina Marine Flakes (twice a day) as well as cyclopeeze, BS & mysis.

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member
Yes .. eating primary OSI Spirulina Marine Flakes (twice a day) as well as cyclopeeze, BS & mysis.

all my tangs big eater 1....everyting all sapu....tummy all abit bloated :D:rolleyes: ...even the "shit" hentam but after tat vomit out hahaha :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
It's very true that PBT will get ich easily if your tank is not "matured" enough but it is very rewarding to watch them swimming.

Personally, I believe that PBT belongs to those "most difficult" Tang to keep eg AT, Gold-Rimmed Surgeon Fish, Pyjama or Clown Surgeonfish

If you can provide good water condition, no temperature swings, sufficient diet and appropriate environment then you minimise the chances of them getting infection.

IMO, you can place the PBT & Yellow Tang in a 2ft tank if they are small in size (about 3") but must prepare to move them to a larger tank.

Clown surgeon difficult? :o

oh dear... i just bought one...

she just got ich... hopefully she will recover soon...

pecking on rocks and grazing on algae already...

good sign right? :(:(