medication kills live rock so how?

• SRC Member

u know...this is very conflicting

lets say you buy a fish and it gets white spots.

u add medication but most medication target invertebrate....which means live rocks, crabs and shrimps all feel the effect.

some even die.

so what am i supposed to do?

let the parasite spread? or sacrifice the invertebrate?

how about quarantine tank?

anyone can give good idea please!

• SRC Member

So far the medication that I adminstrate didn't kill any of my LRs, anemone nor shrimps. Basically, the anemone will close itself for a day and the shrimps will be immoblised for awhile like the Chinese WuShu movie. :blink::blink:

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member
u know...this is very conflicting

lets say you buy a fish and it gets white spots.

u add medication but most medication target invertebrate....which means live rocks, crabs and shrimps all feel the effect.

some even die.

so what am i supposed to do?

let the parasite spread? or sacrifice the invertebrate?

how about quarantine tank?

anyone can give good idea please!

1)Mixed your fish food with garlic guard to combat the ich or whitespots.

2)If you have a Quarantine tank, remove the infected fishes to the Q tank.

3)If you do not have a Q tank, just do step 1 and pray for their recovery..........if they die, remove them and dont add new fishes in for at least a mth.

4)After a mth, you can slowly introduce one new fish per week, monitor closely & continue feeding the fishes with soaked garlic guard.

Eric

hi, I have just set up my tank for about two months and have a hard time battling white spot. I have lost my PBT today. While browsing through the forum to find a solution, I noticed some of you mention soaking the food with garlic. Can someone please explain how is this done? I hate to see another of my fish die. Thanks.

• SRC Member

i haven't heard of medication killing liferocks(u probably mean the hitchhiking corals on the liverocks).soak your food in garlic guard,i personally like to soak seaweed in garlic guard as the seaweed absorb the garlic real fast..keep water conditions good to prevent an outbreak.install a uv light to nuke those parasites.

good luck.

• SRC Member

shoelevy, that is still an ongoing debate... key to using a UV unit is the flowrate thru the unit. A very fast flowrate will not do anything to the parasites which is being exposed to the UV light momentarily.

Also, the wattage of the UV must be appropriate for your tank size. A turnover of 3-4x of your water volume would be the minimal for effective parasite control.

E.g:

Water volume of 100L

To be effective, you need a unit capable of handling at least 500L/hr which is about 18W or so (if using the Coralife turbotwist unit)

Thanks alot brothers. Will do another water change, do a 48 hours black out plus the food with garlic guard. These are the measures I gathered from the forum discussion. :thanks:

Hope this will minimise the problem. I have a UV installed too, but won't comment on the effectiveness as my tank is too new to make any comparison.

• SRC Member

btw, marinecraz, welcome to your first post in SRC. :P

you mentioned your tank is two months old and you lost your PBT most probably to white spots.

shoelevy, new tank also ?

imo, PBT and most tangs are prone to white spots and you should not introduce them as your "first" or early introduction of fish type until your tank is more matured and you have also personally gained more experience.

i am now into the sixth month of marine, and have lost about six tangs. i have much to learn, so not keeping any tang for time being. i am keeping to hardier ls.

you can learn a lot from other reefers. i started out in like manner.

however, at the end of the day, experience is the best teacher.

my $0.02

• SRC Member
there are many reefsafe medication around... look for them... copper based medication will kill the bacteria on the Liverocks and all inverts.

Yes, Copper is a poison... I think if it kill the white spot parasite, there is no reason why the bacteria on the LR should survive. The reason why the fish survive is a matter of accumulation of the toxin in it's larger bodily mass. Submit a fish to higher concentrations of copper or expose it to copper over a very long time, it too will die of poisoning...

I never had to deal with a large white spot outbreak. For me, the trick is to start adding LS very slowly after the tank is well cycled. You must give time for the ecosystem to balance out a few weeks between each addition of one or two fish. Only after a new equilibrium is well established between the new bioload and the bacterial fauna should you add more LS. This avoids stress on the system and guarantees good water quality for new-comer LS. When new LS is introduced, you must be sure it will be compatible with esisting and not too stressed by established fishes. This means you should plan your stocking: the most agressive and teritorial fish you intend to keep must be introduced towards the end!! Make a plan and right it down... it helps to stick to it. Don't stock based on the beauty of the fish when you see it at the LFS... <_< So yes, that fish you desire most might have to wait a few months before it is its turn to be introduced. Consider that a reward for success.

If your first fish is a blue damsel, the chances are it will bully all other fishes you try to introduce, leading to stress, wounds and in turn desease. You can choose some peaceful & hardy Chromis for your first fish. Trust me: good knowledge (read a lot), good planning (think a lot) and patience (self control) are the main keys to sucess in this hobby.

Last week I met a European couple in an LFS: they cycle a new tank for two weeks, then add in one day 3 fish and 10 corals :pinch: and everything dies the next day and they wonder why... So what they do? they buy the magic cycle solution as if that were going to solve everything. Better prevent than cure.

Anyway! welcome to the hobby and goodluck!

you guys made me feel really welcome. thanks a lot for the tips. I have added my LF slowly, guessed I have become careless when I see my clowns doing well in the tank and they have actually grown considerably.

I will add the next LF probably a month later. I feel really lousy watching the PBT suffer and die eventually. This is the first death. After reading your comments, I feel encourage again. Thanks. Will keep you guys posted after the 48 hours black out. :)