Spawn missed

FT David

This evening, as usual, I went home after work and feed my four yellow orange H.Reidi (two females and two males) with local grass shrimps and watched them thoroughly if all are eating healthily. Again, nothing unusual. Shortly after, I went back to my fishroom and Gosh! I found hundreds of translucent orangy eggs on the bottom of my tank. I presume that one of the male is already pregnant for about a week or so. However, there's another male that is ready for the acceptance of the eggs. What could actually went wrong? Could it be that the other male is slightly smaller than the female? I've got them from the same batch and had them i the same tank for several months.

Any kind advise is very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Hope that I can have some success from my only pregnant male producing some CB reidi for all the khakis here.

David

www.fishiotribe.com.sg

If the male is still a "virgin" it might be due to inexperience that led to the misguidance of the eggs onto the floor instead of his pouch. Failed breeding attempts are commonplace for first time spawners. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

I see... well, if humans can make the same mistakes... seahorses.... why not? ;)

I'm no seahorse expert... perhaps some other seahorse keepers here in Singapore can help out with some ideas?

• SRC Member

dun think there is anything u can do... the male SH will get more experienced with more spawning..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

I'm afraid the eggs will probably die off slowly, cause they are supposed to receive oxygenation and lower salinity in the father's pouch - they are not accustomed to higher salinity until they develop into baby seahorses...

Good luck with the next batch David! At least u know the female is ripe and ready! Just need to train the daddies heheh... ;)

• SRC Member
Wow! seems like an interesting topic, can someone advise on wat to do with all the spilt eggs now?!?! :shock:

the eggs will be eaten by creatures on the sand bed and LRs. ;)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!