How to DIY MH onto Hood?

YzF

• SRC Member

Thinking of DIY 2 x 150w MH onto hood.

But my Hood height is only 8cm (from glass to the top ply)

So it left me with the only option of diy the bulb to the hood with a reflector in between. Has anyone done this before? Is it advisable? Worried about the coverage of MH and the contact of water with the bulb. <_<

• SRC Member
Thinking of DIY 2 x 150w MH onto hood.

But my Hood height is only 8cm (from glass to the top ply)

So it left me with the only option of diy the bulb to the hood with a reflector in between. Has anyone done this before? Is it advisable? Worried about the coverage of MH and the contact of water with the bulb. <_<

Keep a lookout for the heat generated by the MH.........I have experience it burning my hood even after sticking aluminium tapes around it..........I surround the MH with some metal sheets to act as a heat shield more than a reflector.

My hood is 14cm height and the 250W MH is 8cm away from the water surface. I have tried using normal glass as a water splash protector but the heat crack and shatter the glass. Now I'm going without the water splash protector, but got to be extra careful when switching ON and OFF the main return pump.

Eric

According to my MH set recommendation is 12 inches from water surface.

Bro Eric, 8cm really near, u sure? are u going to boil your tank?

Agree that the bulb(single or double end) need to be protected from water splash, use tempered glass or heat resist glass.

Bro YzF, try to do frame that hangs your lights from steel cable, so can adjust height, more free play.

Regards

Mike

• Sponsor
According to my MH set recommendation is 12 inches from water surface.

Bro Eric, 8cm really near, u sure? are u going to boil your tank?

Agree that the bulb(single or double end) need to be protected from water splash, use tempered glass or heat resist glass.

Bro YzF, try to do frame that hangs your lights from steel cable, so can adjust height, more free play.

Regards

Mike

i making a suspended MH fixture....stay tune......250watts

• SRC Member

if i'm not wrong, even if the bulb is not protected from water splashing with glass, the UV from the bulb will still fry the corals without the glass below it.

read somewhere that someone connected MH without the glass and the corals were fried in seconds cuz of the UV. even thought the bulb said UV protected.

so the glass below the MH has 2 purposes. firstly to protect the bulb from splashing water, and secondly to prevent it from frying corals! :P