hermit diy spray injec skimmer............

hermit

no injector dun works same to beckett....................

it works by spraying water onto water surface to form bubbles................

if it is place so high(longer piping) pressure will loss hence cant produce enough water pressure to spray more bubbles...............

but i will try out also.............

any way i havent glue the piping yet..............

i also think tat the riser too high liao...........

no choice leh..............

the union is tat size lor..............

wan to get a better pump to run it lor...........

thks bro Rav-65

No prob... thanxs for the info too, I tot beckett same as injector!! :lol::lol::lol: Good luck on your project! It's looking real good! :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

shift the gate valve to the side...and extend the pipe...

the baffle plate, extend it as shown to maximise contact time....

my next set will be like that too...

my 1st set, i used a baffle plate much like BARR AQUATICS' style...but not really foaming well...should have listened to my neighbour...hahahaha....

now have to waste money on laser cut again...anyway, i have spare acrylic, if u want, we can laser cut together...do a real nice professional set...u want?? then dun need the gigantic union, can just use o-ring...much neater....

when are u working?? i will be quite free after tomolo...jobless....hai....

post-9-1093282339.jpg

• SRC Member
nice work bro...hhahaha

i haven;t even done my own yet....hahaha

only did one so far, with my bro-in-law right now...

I am his "guinea pig" brother-in-law testing his skimmer now.

Review so far:

1. Foaming comes and goes. Noticed that after feeding, the foaming stops and comes back after 5-6 hours later...

2. Bubbles are trapped in the bottom chamber and soon forms huge bubbles that rushes up the reaction chamber and disrupts the foaming process. Some kind of baffle may be needed to prevent this from happening.

3. Using a 2200l/hr pump now and the water level is sometimes unstable.. getting a 3000l/hr pump to see if this helps.

4. The air intake valve is not working - bubbles rate is the same whether its fully open or closed.... ?? Am wondering where the air comes from then when the valve is fully close.....

5. Gasket is leaking badly if they are tightened by hand. Need to use pliers to really tighten the screws and the leaking reduces... (still leaking!)

Pic of the foaming attached. Taken from my phone so is not that clear.

post-9-1093313294.jpg

• SRC Member

I am his "guinea pig" brother-in-law testing his skimmer now.

Review so far:

1. Foaming comes and goes. Noticed that after feeding, the foaming stops and comes back after 5-6 hours later...

2. Bubbles are trapped in the bottom chamber and soon forms huge bubbles that rushes up the reaction chamber and disrupts the foaming process. Some kind of baffle may be needed to prevent this from happening.

3. Using a 2200l/hr pump now and the water level is sometimes unstable.. getting a 3000l/hr pump to see if this helps.

4. The air intake valve is not working - bubbles rate is the same whether its fully open or closed.... ?? Am wondering where the air comes from then when the valve is fully close.....

5. Gasket is leaking badly if they are tightened by hand. Need to use pliers to really tighten the screws and the leaking reduces... (still leaking!)

Pic of the foaming attached. Taken from my phone so is not that clear.

Hmm the skimmate looks like green tea. Maybe if possible tune to get drier skimmate.

• SRC Member

i didn't seal up the spray nozzle that's y there are leaks even though u closed the air intake...i'm afraid that the nozzle dun work well...since it is ok, i think we can seal up the thing...but wait for me to do it...okok?? still have another nozzle for u to test out...

the traping of the bubbles is due to the baffle plate design...will try to solve that...but need to dismantle the whole skimmer...

as for the o-ring, i've got no idea y issit leaking...no such problem for my other units, my FR, becketts, no prob at all...maybe the contractor cut the groove too deep...will get u a thicker o-ring...

lets see if rio3100 will have better effect, it is the recommended pump for AquaC EV-180...lets see if it works better...

• SRC Member
Still tuning the skimmer to get dryer skimmate but not easy as :

1. Cannot control airflow for now

2. Pump is probably too low in capacity

See what happens when I get the 3000l/hr pump.

bro wat pump are u goin to buy?????????????

saw a pump call multi 4000 cost ont 98bucks at aqua star...........

looks good........

light and small...........

italian brand by sicce

can be run externally also................

goin to return my atman pump and may use it to run my skimmer also..............

• SRC Member
Still tuning the skimmer to get dryer skimmate but not easy as :

1. Cannot control airflow for now

2. Pump is probably too low in capacity

See what happens when I get the 3000l/hr pump.

i full blast the skimmer by fully open up the air line valve and level down the water level to the reaction chamber and saw the the foam was dam thick..........

problem is onli wif the water is somehow too turbulent liao............

maybe due to the pump.............