anemone can nuke tank?

shoelevy

they sleep soundly at night knowing that the anemones within the tank are healthy, eating, and under control. (=

in fact, sea cucumbers also can nuke the tang. rouge nudibranchs that enter powerheads can kill. clam spawning, whilst not nuking, can severely hampen water chemistry.

your tank is a ticking time bomb actually. (=

• SRC Member

sea cucumbers is damn scary.. got one last time.. i pass out its intestine the next day it dies... u noe wat had happen..juz one nite it kill all my LS in my tank. so guy rmb releasing of organ or die of a cucumber is diedly to ur tank. so now i wun get a cucumber..

stitched001ov7.jpg

Lets not forget the good ole "Sea Apple"!!!!!

Lots of beginners got them without knowing their powers!!!!

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
is it true that when an anemone dies, it releases toxins that can nuke the whole tank?

how do those who keep anemone sleep well at night?

It doesn't release toxins.

When a sizable anemone dies or starts to decompose the ammonia level in your tank goes up.

Depending on the size of your tank and the volume of water it might not do much damage.

You might want to read up on this.

Anemone.

Cheers

Kev

• SRC Member

I once bought an anemone for my tank. The next morning i awoke to a HORRIBLE stink... To my horror, the anemone had climbed to and stuck to the powerhead over the night, died and released lots of stinky, rotten waste. The water was white with lotsa yucky floating stuff, and of course every living creature in the tank was completely wiped out... Worse still, it took me hours to scrub the tank and all the equipment clean and get rid of that disgusting stench. :angry:

The conclusions i got from this experience are:

1)Unless you're sure it'll survive, don't keep an anemone;

2)If you do decide to keep one, make sure it has a firm solid surface like a rock to anchor on so they're less likely to take a walk around your tank at night;

3)Remove all powerheads if you've got an anemone in your tank!!

Oh, but back to the topic, from what i see, i don't think they release toxins when they die but rather, all the rotting undigested and semidigested food that they've eaten.

• SRC Member
yup, and to add on to that point, some LFS i've been to recommend the use of fans blowing over the water surface to help cool down the water temp, though i'm not too sure if that'll be useful...

Using fan to blow across the surface works, but will only bring down the temp by 1-2 degrees.

But please take note, evaporation rate is very high using this method.