CR cannot keep up KH levels in SPS dominated tank

• SRC Member
Just put the airline tubing which carries the effluent into the inlet pipe of the md55 :)

Alfa, I'm not sure but are there disadvantages of doing so? Conversely, what are pros?

Is that how the Deltec works... a continuous effluent flow, i.e. no need to regulate the drip rate?

• SRC Member

I can buy the part on CO2 de-gassing but you may get some of the effluent precipitating as well with the skimmer action... while not a guru at this, that seems to make some sense.

Any gurus here care to comment?

• SRC Member

Danano, I am definately not a guru..still carrying L plate.. but the range from AquaC has a built-in speedfit port which is meant for CR effluent to be directly injected intoit the skimmer for degassing. I kinda borrowed from that concept and applied it here.

Awaiting Gurus to shed some light into this concept :)

• SRC Member
According to my thinking, the low Ph effluent will be directly sucked into the skimmer and 'degassed' to get rid of the extra CO2?

Flawed logic at work here? hehehe

It sounds very flawed indeed!! :o And I think that could be the reason why your dKH keeps dropping. CO2 is soluble, before your skimmer can 'degassed' it, it is already absorbed into the water or worst.... your skimmer maybe contributing to the absorption of any access CO2. Unless you have done test to see if they get degassed more than they are absorb... it may not be worth the risk.

Have you considered with putting the effluent tubing into your KR instead? Excess CO2 would make your KR fluids more acidic, just like vinegar would... that would neutralize your the CR effluent and aid in the freeing of the ca and carbonate ions from the Kalk solution?

* just applying some fundamental reasoning here, dont' hv any CR or KR... would luv to see if anyone else have done otherwise and produced better results.

• SRC Member

Have you considered with putting the effluent tubing into your KR instead? Excess CO2 would make your KR fluids more acidic, just like vinegar would... that would neutralize your the CR effluent and aid in the freeing of the ca and carbonate ions from the Kalk solution?

CO2 from the atmosphere or from CR will have negative effects on Kalkwasser!

Read the summary of this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.htm

• Like 1

• SRC Member
According to my thinking, the low Ph effluent will be directly sucked into the skimmer and 'degassed' to get rid of the extra CO2?

Flawed logic at work here? hehehe

Think i read somewhere tt ppl drip the effulent into a container with a air stone to degas the excess CO2 ;)

anyone got read before? :huh:

• SRC Member

Weileong:

AP600s:

For Aquariums up to:

Heavy Stocking and High Illumination

1900 Ltrs (425gals) *

Normal Stocking and Normal Illumination

2500 Ltrs (555 gals)*

AP1000:

For Aquariums up to:

Heavy Stocking and High Illumination

5000 Ltrs (1111 gals) *

My System is at 1000 Ltrs (230 gals) max...

• SRC Member

2 bps - I think you could try increasing your CO2 but with caution by measuring the effluent.

Curently my Cal reactor is about 1.5 bps and it is maintianing the KH at 11 and Cal at 465 ppm (measured) this morning. Some more my tank size is only 2 x 2 ft x 15". But my device is a dual chamber which collect the excess CO2 at the top whereas the efluent is taken from the bottom so no issue for me, the most just released the excess CO2 from the top. For yours, i am not sure if effluent taken from the top - got to be careful by monitoring the PH.

My 2 cents worth.

• SRC Member

Bite the bullet! :evil: Go for PF1000

But then again, not sure if the PF1000 has a electric solenoid valve? Think the suffix of S is comes with solenoid valve. Think better to have the solenoid valve with the 'just in case' situation. Can use the IKS to control timed dosing somemore if the Ca reaches too high.

Eric,

PF600S cost in the region of $900-$1200. Depends where you buy them ;) Better not discuss too much on pricing here. Do some research on the net to get a idea on the pricing.