jellyfish

• SRC Member

erm... not a good idea....... very hard to maintain....... need some special type of tank made of different material...... other than that if u still want to keep.....

here is a list of things u might need

1. strong lighting

2. super slow biological filtration system that does not produce any air bubbles at all.....they dont like strong current

3. a substrate of fine grade 0 sand

4. no sharp objects in the tank.....

generally... i do NOT recommend u to keep jellyfish...... but if u do want to keep them.... read up more...... who knows u might be the pioneer in jellyfish keeping......

• SRC Member

2 ft is way too small for jellyfishes....

jellyfishes r facinating creatures to keep but they hav special requirements as well....

try to search online for their unique requirements....

if not, try getting "Tropical Fish Hobbyist" or issit "Aquarium" magazine which is dated i tink august or july this year.... has a special chapter regarding keeping jellyfishes :D

btw, hard to find jellyfishes for sale in sg... dunno whether it's due to restrictions or wat <_<

• SRC Member

I was thinking of jellyfish tank - about a year ago... they look fascinating especially with neon lighting and stuff like that .. but you need to construct a special tank - circular one something like a tyre shape and the suction to your filtration system is at the same location as the water injecting back to the tank so that the jellyfish will not be suck into the gap..

It is a circular tank so that the jelly fish will not get tuck into a corner also if there is no flow around that area.

It is definitely interesting if you are into some serious biz of keeping it but bear in mind that some of the species are from cold water ... sometimes 15 degrees and they need planktonic food frequently throughout the day..

As the marine reefing scene in singapore is picking up, I believe someone out there will get into serious biz of keeping them in a home aquarium. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Thank for the comments. I will read up more.. i do see LFS that sells jellyfish in Pasir Ris area and also Ang Mo Kio areaand they have kept it well. Wow it would really be intresting if i could have a tank of jellyfishes :D .

which area in amk? :huh: i wanna take a look. hehe.