need help evacuating pouch

decentkid

You might want to try using something to hold the pouch open. Maybe a paperclip pried in carefully to enable the air to have some place to escape from. Alternatively use a 1ml syringe filled with water and squirt into the pouch and hopefully the bubble escapes. Not sure if the above methods are practical, but I would do that.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

I used a blunted wooden toothpick to insert slightly into the pouch, and it works well. I have tried other materials but find that toothpick has relatively less risk of incurring an injury to the poor SH.

Good luck.

I used to have this problem with my barbouri. What I do is hold the SH with my left hand with the tail between my last two fingers and use my right hand to slowly massage from the bottom up the pouch.

It usually works. But be careful, SH can put up a strong struggle no matter which method you use. ;)

Please not that stressed SH usually will have air in pouch problem. Look into the water parameters and also look for bubbles in your tank and try to eliminate them. :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Hi,

re: gas/air in pouch

1. use a plastic cable tie, smaller the better. use a scissor to cut the front tip into 2, keep one side but remove the other. Make sure tip not sharp,(you will know if its right when it hurts when u prick yourself).

2. Sterlise the tip with hydrogen peroxide or similar. Make sure hands are cleaned as well.

3. holding the SH with one hand, with cable tie the other, gently locate the ###### opening(below ###### fin).

4. All you want to do is to OPEN THE ###### OPENING WIDER, the left hand thumb at base of pouch to massage the pressure upwards. Never push nor poke the cable deep into the pouch.

5. U should see small bubbles being expelled.

6. Rememer to do this quick to minimise stress to the SH. Should be done in 3s. If not sure try first on a sponge.

7. U may have to repeats process several times to completely remove the bubbles. (usually unexpled air makes the SH float about).

I do agree with the mention that what your Sh has is the effect of poor water quality, bacteria infection or too much air saturation of water.

Only the males get it, the females don't.