Newly setup tank

zorden

• SRC Member

i just placed the Liferocks into my tank. :P

i observe that there are alot of Crabs, worms and also MANTIS SHRIMP inside the tank.

:nuke::nuke:

The LR delivery man threw a 2 inch mantis shrimp into my tank right before me and even tell me this is something like a :evil: "lobster" :evil:

thanks to him....i think i have to try to destroy those crabs and mantis shrimp before they can get my fish....

:pirate::pirate:

what is the best way to kill them..

using the mineral water, chicken essence method..

btw..my tank is 3 ft in height.

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

:lol::lol::lol:

bro zorden.. called that LR delivery man up.. Told him to take back his' lobster and throw it into his fish'' tank. His lobster will take good care of his fishes.

He told you that mantis shrimp >> lobster.... :evil::evil: .. :lol::lol:

don't think that crab trap (mineral water version) > will work- mantis shrimp.

any way > try to locate the rock or cave. and kill it. or take that part of live rock. put it in a pail of salt water (higher salinity) for few mins.. your lobster :lol: .. should come out..

Bro... wear a thick gloves when you > searching for your 'osama'. :lol: don't play'' play '' with these thumbsplitters. ;)

• SRC Member

brother...

its a 3 ft tank in height...

i need to use a ladder to do aquascaping..

now....me gonna wait and see how...

getting a trigger fish before adding fishes and coral?

but i heard that trigger fish not so aggressive...

my friend..actually use a mantis shrimp to kill all his crabs and later throw away the mantis shrimp..

he is having a 2 ft tank in height.

post-7-1098256835.gif

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
don't think that crab trap (mineral water version) > will work- mantis shrimp.

Bro... wear a thick gloves when you > searching for your 'osama'. :lol: don't play'' play '' with these thumbsplitters. ;)

any other alternative to catch this mantis shrimp... :cry:

i don mind spare his life and place him inside my sump tank.. :lol:

• SRC Member

Bro,

How much did you pay for your LR? I hope it is dirt cheap. I got my for 4/kg and also in the same condition.

During the cycling period, a lot of worms, crabs will die off.

As for the mantis shrimp, the only way seem to be find out which rock it is staying in and soak that particular rock in tapwater. I tried to bake my LR under the sun for 1 hour but the damn thing is still alive.

Alternatively, put a octopus into your tank before anything else. Once you are satisfied that your tank is sufficiently cleared, remove the octopus.

• SRC Member
Alternatively, put a octopus into your tank before anything else. Once you are satisfied that your tank is sufficiently cleared, remove the octopus.

i paid 10 bucks for the LR. they come in the big piece..and also quite a few in branches..

these include delivery..

can i introduce a bigger mantis shrimp..let say in the size of 5 inches and above..

and let him kill the rest..of the habitants before adding the coral and fishes

• SRC Member

ppl in RC forum seems to be very happy when they have one mantis shrimp in their LR... :pirate:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=454577

well i just hate them...

now my wife is asking me where can i start to introduce fishes to the tank...

• SRC Member

dude...

i also 3 feet deep tank....

my advice... since your tank new... not really much set up and not mature yet.... it is still best to take out the rock the mantis is in.... and soak it in tap water or hypo-salinaity water....

i did dat after my tank has been settled down for about coming to a year....

imagine the heartbreak when i see my SPS, LPS and fishes suffering when i did the mantis/bristleworm hunting....

triggers??? er... if u intend to keep a trigger tank... then go ahead....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

just want to try to have a trigger to kill the mantis after that,..going to sell it..or give it away..

but heard from friend that trigger not so good....in killing mantis and crab

btw...what the length of your tank...

any nice picture to share...

• SRC Member

i intend to keep coral.... :ph34r:

this tank is actually a joint project between me and my father-in-law. :ph34r::ph34r:

he's too buzy with work, thus need to OMO liao.

:pirate:

• SRC Member

Mantis shrimp is not good.

I can start the ball rolling by telling you that it killed my royal gamma, anthias, mandarin, abalone....etc. Basically, anything that sticks to the LR when they sleep is not safe.

Adding a mantis shrimp to kill the rest is not a good idea because mantis shrimp can either hide in the sand or LR. It is very difficult to location where they stay because they move around.

• SRC Member

i received offers from ppl to ask me to keep mantis shrimp or send it to them and they will pay for the shipping cost... :D:D:D

OMG.... :evil:

don it come FOC with LIFEROCKS :nuke:

but i have to admit that i have seen nice mantis :upsidedown:

DSC_0034_copy2.jpg

• SRC Member
Mantis shrimp is not good.

I can start the ball rolling by telling you that it killed my royal gamma, anthias, mandarin, abalone....etc. Basically, anything that sticks to the LR when they sleep is not safe.

Adding a mantis shrimp to kill the rest is not a good idea because mantis shrimp can either hide in the sand or LR. It is very difficult to location where they stay because they move around.

Bro, U ever kept abalone. Got picture to share.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the info.

now i am waiting patiently for the MANTIS to come into my mineral water trap.

but so far only 1 crab walk into the trap.