SRC Reef ID Quiz #11

Pineapplefish

Cleidopus gloriamaris

The Pineapplefish is named for its pineapple-like appearance. It has robust scales with black margins. On either side of the lower jaw is a light organ that produces a greenish glow. The colour of the light is reported to change to red as the fish ages.

It grows to 25cm in length.

This species is recorded from the east and west coasts of Australia, but not from Victoria and South Australia. It is often observed by divers on shallow coastal reefs, but is also trawled in deeper offshore waters.

The Pineapplefish is also known as the Knightfish.

The similar Japanese Pineapplefish Monocentrus japonicus also occurs in Australian waters. It can be distinguished from the Pineapplefish by its more rounded snout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Pineapplefish

Cleidopus gloriamaris

The Pineapplefish is named for its pineapple-like appearance. It has robust scales with black margins. On either side of the lower jaw is a light organ that produces a greenish glow. The colour of the light is reported to change to red as the fish ages.

It grows to 25cm in length.

This species is recorded from the east and west coasts of Australia, but not from Victoria and South Australia. It is often observed by divers on shallow coastal reefs, but is also trawled in deeper offshore waters.

The Pineapplefish is also known as the Knightfish.

The similar Japanese Pineapplefish Monocentrus japonicus also occurs in Australian waters. It can be distinguished from the Pineapplefish by its more rounded snout.

See I told you I was close.... Pineapple fish is the nickname I gave to my mother-in-law's legs... :P

• 3 weeks later...