White Cotton Pad On Live Stone??

Coralreef,

Thank for your reply.

Yes, I've on my aquarium light from sunday evening to Monday night. Plan to on the light for 10 hrs daily. Will it help?

My tanksetup:

2ft tank size

Canister filter (Available to support 4ft tank)

Protein Skimmer

1 1/2" thick Coral Sand Bed

Normal Aquariam Light (10 Watts)

7kg live rock (Bought on sunday)

Water salinity = 1.18 (Added in 50% new mixed water due to tank outbreak)

Fish removed on sunday

• SRC Member

Water salinity = 1.18 (Added in 50% new mixed water due to tank outbreak)?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

usually salinity is 1.021-1.024.....

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

Thanks for all the reply.

I've started my tank 3 weeks ago with only 3 marine fish (all smaller than 1"), top filter and sand bed. I've learn a lesson from introducing a coral a week ago and cause disaster to the tank (Coral died off).

The reason I setup the salinity to 1.18 is because I've done a calibration on my hydrometer with sea water (Sembawang beach) and found that the salinity is about only 1.18.

Please advise.

• SRC Member

Pls.... dun do things that u think r right... calibrating at singapore shore?

n putting fishes n corals?

wat u need most is patience....

pls cycle ur tank in the most proper way.... believe me, u won't regret it!

btw, if u wan a calibration pls ask a freindly LFS to help u.... they hav proper accurate probes n meters.... ;)

1.018 is a little low. Bring it up to at least 1.023.

Calibrating with our local waters is not advisable. We are an island and we discharge a lot of freshwater into the sea from drains (rain, industrial and commercial output). It is highly possible that the water you got is diluted. Sembawang water is also highly polluted.. kekeke!

The white stuff on the liverock is decaying stuff... probably an algae or sponge clump.

You have to cycle your tank for at least a month before you can stock anything.

• SRC Member

If you are using a top filter, I would advice an upgrade to a canister or a sump. A top filter just does not do the job. As for the LR, you'll have to cure the LR again. Take it out and brush away all the decaying stuff with a toothbrush (becareful! it REALLY stinks! :sick: ). Place it back in your tank and let the filtration run. Your rocks will be cured naturally.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using a canister filter since 6 days ago with:

Layer 1 : Ceramic Ring

Layer 2 : Coral Chip

Layer 3 : Active Carbon

Layer 4 : Mechanical Filter

First the decay area is expanding and start missing on the third day (absorted by tank water?). The decay color turn gray and new pad has raised on other area but size smaller.

No smell from the tank water now, except water in protein skimmer cup.

Should I leave the live rock untouch for it to recover?

Can I add in more live rock and when?

• SRC Member

Had the same problem during the first week after I added LR to my tank (2') which is now 3 weeks old. Had white filmy stuff growing and expanding on certain parts of the LR. I removed them from the LR by directing a jet of water from a small power head. It will return after a day.... and I will just remove it again when it re-appears. Did this for about 5 days - 1 week before its totally gone.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

I am facing the same problem with my live rock so would really like some advice.......also just set up a 5 feet tank.....using sea water......only had sand and live rock in the tank......started running the filter system 3 days ago and discovered white cotton like stuff spreading on the live rock!!! Area also turn abit greyish........ what should I do??? How should I treat them? Will they disappear if I just leave them in the tank and let the system run?