Fins

nleong

• SRC Member

Hi Divers,

I have purchased my own mask, snorkel and booties. And now looking for fins. So what fins you guys using ?

Heard alot about Twin Jet and Jet fins from scubapro. But problem is, cannot try in water leh.

So like to hear from you guys on the fins you have tried/used. :thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi Divers,

I have purchased my own mask, snorkel and booties. And now looking for fins. So what fins you guys using ?

Heard alot about Twin Jet and Jet fins from scubapro. But problem is, cannot try in water leh.

So like to hear from you guys on the fins you have tried/used. :thanks:

Using OEM Jet Fins (Fuji fins) works and looks just like jet fins. tried that during my OWC, got it for my AOW.. never look back or at other fins already..

Jet Fins is abt 140-190 originals from scubapro

Fuji Fins abt half the price..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Hi Divers,

So like to hear from you guys on the fins you have tried/used.  :thanks:

So far I've seem many Pro. Commercial Diver using the SCUBAPRO Jet Fin ;) ,

I personally have been using this Jet fins(3 pairs) :( for more than 10 yrs :ooh: .

Pic for yours ref:

prod_63_i1.GIFprod_63_s1.GIF

I own a pair of jet fins and heard that using twin jet will have a totally diff method of kicking. What i think is that it might kick up lots of sand or have knees touching the sandbed if you have to 'glide' in the bottom of the reef.

Just a thought. :)

• SRC Member

nleong: You must first of all decide what kind of diving would you like to do, do you like to zoom here and there and everywhere, looking everywhere, (jetfins good) or do you like to take your time and just float along, esp drift diving (where you just drift with the current) and occasionally swim here and there (split fins good). Reason: jetfins are very good for actively swimming here and there, plus good for advanced techniques (DIR), but they are heavy, and meant for pple who don't mind using lots of energy finning, plus pt is you can move with lots of power. Splits (like tusa zoom or scubapro twinjet), are good if you just want a relaxing dive, cuz they are really easy on your ankles and legs, I find you can do different techniques too with them, but they aren't very good in fighting against currents, but then again, you should not be diving against the current to begin with, but then in life threatening situations like down current or something, then ah-hem a bit tricky. But they are easy to use, I considered very very carefully too for a long time before deciding to get splits and I don't regret it at all. I went for a marine reef survey volunteer expedition to Sabah and the fins did very well for me.

• SRC Member

krite: that's what I read at first too, but having used splits, I can say that's not true, you can adopt a frog kick position but simply scull using your ankles (don't even need to do those modified frog kick, toad kick whatever kick) and you can move along with good speed! Imagine lazily twisting your ankles a bit and moving oredi! Hardly any sand or silt stirred up!

• SRC Member
Kelstorm,

And where can take a look at this Fuji Fins ?

u can try Sports Centre at Beach Road

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

to me, using split fins may be easier to fin but i seriously doubt that it will improve your finning skills. What if next trip, u forget to bring your fins or something like that or misplaced them or even kenna stolen, then can only borrow a conventional fins like TUSA Imprex, then how? coz used to split fins and being lazy (IMO) and not perfecting the finning techniques, u might face big difficulties in the dive and may not enjoy it then..

But then again, me is still practising my finnings. i find sculling more efficient than those cycling patterns.

Personally, i would still go for jet fins than splits. coz sometimes u may have to tiptoe on your fins and perhaps use fin pivot to take pics.. (my buoyancy control not very good yet :P ) The stiffness of jet fins can tahan the weight without bending and stressing the fins too much.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

hello

i used to own a mares alvanti hp fullfootfin it is good for beginners, but after ard 9 mths i change to jetfns and never look back.

even though it is heavy and made of rubber, it is so hardy like a damsel. i believe u can even pass to ur grandkids if you use mantain it.

Cheers

HH

• SRC Member
nleong: You must first of all decide what kind of diving would you like to do, do you like to zoom here and there and everywhere, looking everywhere, (jetfins good) or do you like to take your time and just float along, esp drift diving (where you just drift with the current) and occasionally swim here and there (split fins good). Reason: jetfins are very good for actively swimming here and there, plus good for advanced techniques (DIR), but they are heavy, and meant for pple who don't mind using lots of energy finning, plus pt is you can move with lots of power. Splits (like tusa zoom or scubapro twinjet), are good if you just want a relaxing dive, cuz they are really easy on your ankles and legs, I find you can do different techniques too with them, but they aren't very good in fighting against currents, but then again, you should not be diving against the current to begin with, but then in life threatening situations like down current or something, then ah-hem a bit tricky. But they are easy to use, I considered very very carefully too for a long time before deciding to get splits and I don't regret it at all. I went for a marine reef survey volunteer expedition to Sabah and the fins did very well for me.

well said!!!

but 1st of all, what is your personal preference - full foot or open heels?

i always prefer the former if u like those live-on-boards, but open heels would be a bliss if u always do shore-dives ... and of course beauuse of the booties, additional costs and weight would set in ..

i have 2 - Technisub (full foot) and Cressi Frog that till now, i am still using them ... last a very long time, for my case more than 12 years .. as long as u aviod leaving them under direct sun when not in use .... and try not to place any weights on them when storing

• SRC Member

well said!!!

but 1st of all, what is your personal preference - full foot or open heels?

i always prefer the former if u like those live-on-boards, but open heels would be a bliss if u always do shore-dives ... and of course beauuse of the booties, additional costs and weight would set in ..

i have 2 - Technisub (full foot) and Cressi Frog that till now, i am still using them ... last a very long time, for my case more than 12 years .. as long as u aviod leaving them under direct sun when not in use .... and try not to place any weights on them when storing

full foot ? Spare me!! :angel: I don't want blister again.

Anyway, I have tried out both Jetfins and twinjet. Both have got its own advantage and definitely different finning style.

However, I apprecait the jetfins more in strong current situation. At least I move against current :)

nLeong;

You should be asking us what fins to get when you were there for Project A.W.A.R.E

We had all sort of fins on that trip.

Anyway, to decide on buying fins, I always assist customer by asking a few simple questions.

1) Your budget

2) How often you plan to dive

3) What sort of diving u plan to dive

4) Are u a lazy or hardworking diver

Budget

-----------------------------

This is the most crucial decision factor for most divers. As what I always love to say to my dive crews, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Budget will determind the brands and type of fins to get.

$0 - $100 - Mares and Tusa are your best bets.

Generally, fins within that budget are made from a combination of "plastic" and "rubber". These fins are sometime known as snorkel fins. It provides a diver the basic need of "finning" and "moving" underwater. But these fins are not performance fins and in general, they dun last very long.

$100 - $200

Now we are talking, with this budget, you can get basic "split fins" or better quality fins from Mares and Scubapro. Your option widens now. This bring me to your the next question.

How often do you plan to dive

-----------------------------------------

The reason this question is asked if because the more you dive, the more durable a pair of fins needs to be. For divers who plan dives for at least once a month, I will usually recommend them "rubberised" fins. The reason, fins made of plastics and subjective to scratches and more damages when not handled properly. Rubberised fins are more lasting.

What sort of dives you plan to do

------------------------------------------

This will help you to determine whether you want to get Open Healed Fins or Fullfoot fins.

Lazy or hardworking diver?

--------------------------------

Last but not least. This question will eventually assist you in deciding what fins to get. If you are thinking of becoming the world laziest diver, I would advise you to increase your budget and get a good pair of rubberised twinjets from Scubapro!

Now you see, all the questions are interlinked! :)

Well, your best bet is to email to Orpheus and ask them directly. I am quite sure we will be able to assist you more!

• SRC Member
nLeong;

You should be asking us what fins to get when you were there for Project A.W.A.R.E

We had all sort of fins on that trip.

Anyway, to decide on buying fins, I always assist customer by asking a few simple questions.

1) Your budget

2) How often you plan to dive

3) What sort of diving u plan to dive

4) Are u a lazy or hardworking diver

Budget

-----------------------------

This is the most crucial decision factor for most divers. As what I always love to say to my dive crews, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Budget will determind the brands and type of fins to get.

$0 - $100 - Mares and Tusa are your best bets.

Generally, fins within that budget are made from a combination of "plastic" and "rubber". These fins are sometime known as snorkel fins. It provides a diver the basic need of "finning" and "moving" underwater. But these fins are not performance fins and in general, they dun last very long.

$100 - $200

Now we are talking, with this budget, you can get basic "split fins" or better quality fins from Mares and Scubapro. Your option widens now. This bring me to your the next question.

How often do you plan to dive

-----------------------------------------

The reason this question is asked if because the more you dive, the more durable a pair of fins needs to be. For divers who plan dives for at least once a month, I will usually recommend them "rubberised" fins. The reason, fins made of plastics and subjective to scratches and more damages when not handled properly. Rubberised fins are more lasting.

What sort of dives you plan to do

------------------------------------------

This will help you to determine whether you want to get Open Healed Fins or Fullfoot fins.

Lazy or hardworking diver?

--------------------------------

Last but not least. This question will eventually assist you in deciding what fins to get. If you are thinking of becoming the world laziest diver, I would advise you to increase your budget and get a good pair of rubberised twinjets from Scubapro!

Now you see, all the questions are interlinked! :)

Well, your best bet is to email to Orpheus and ask them directly. I am quite sure we will be able to assist you more!

Dear Orpheus,

Thanks for the concern. In fact I have spoken to one of your staff before. And I did try out both split and jet fins in the pool and borrowed my friend's jetfins for a spin during Project Aware.

Both have its own advantage and I have no regrets of the jetfins during the last dive of Project Aware where the current is very strong (to me at least)

And full foot is definitely not for me whether its dive often or not, I got blister just for one dive! My feet to delicate :P

Anyway, hope to dive again come next year. Now, pocket empty and gotta setup my long overdue tank :P

:) hi ya long time no see, com still remain dead, anyways, i'm currenetly using force fins, cool stuff, got it cause it looked really out of this world, well the new range featured on fins magazine is not coming to singapore that soon and the price tag they got on it, wah... :yeah: it's too astonishing at leaast for me, but very very desirable super cool, performace wise, i've used original force(theone that looks like donald duck) , extra, and acceralerating was quite good buut finning technique change a bit, best part it can scull(DIR style) cool , unlike the splits, where only veery hard splits can do(none in singapore) oceanic has buut must order for those super hard type. cheers

:lol: