Live Rocks -----> Dead Rocks??

jykel

Hi all bros out there...just got a question, my live rocks used to be purple in colour but recently i noticed that the purple colours are getting paler and paler...and some colours on the rock are gone...making the tank look dull and brown..

Does that mean that my rocks are 'dead'?? If yes, are there any chance of revieving them?? or i have to change new rocks??

Pls advice.. :(

• SRC Member

it means yr coralline algae is dying off

no need to change rocks la

my rocks were not as rich in colour but now they're darn red...jus ask bro borinz who saw my tank todae

hehe

u can revive them by

1)keeping flow on yr rocks high

2)keep calcium at 450ppm and hardness close to or above 10dKh

3)optional but it worked for me and brother borinz and that's use chem additive: aquapharm "trace element"

both of us noticed rocks becoming very rich in colour due to coralline growth after dosing

it means yr coralline algae is dying off

no need to change rocks la

my rocks were not as rich in colour but now they're darn red...jus ask bro borinz who saw my tank todae

hehe

u can revive them by

1)keeping flow on yr rocks high

2)keep calcium at 450ppm and hardness close to or above 10dKh

3)optional but it worked for me and brother borinz and that's use chem additive: aquapharm "trace element"

both of us noticed rocks becoming very rich in colour due to coralline growth after dosing

I've tried to dose them with 'trace elements' but maybe it need more time...but i think i am going to keep calcium and hardness to what you have advised. I understand that i can control calcium by adding calcium salt...but what abt water hardness..how do i control it?? :huh:

• SRC Member

Keep calcium and kH within recommended ranges, Calcium at 400-450 and kH at 8-12. Coralline algae will need some time before they revive. For kH, there are alkalinity supplements available or you can just simply use baking soda(Cheap and good, been using it, so far ok).

I've tried to dose them with 'trace elements' but maybe it need more time...but i think i am going to keep calcium and hardness to what you have advised. I understand that i can control calcium by adding calcium salt...but what abt water hardness..how do i control it?? :huh:

Besides dosing Trace elements, you will need to maintain a balance KH and Ca - you can do so by dosing Kalkwasser or getting a Calcium Reactor. ;)

I have been dosing Kalk with a simple DIY Kalk. recently upgraded to Kalk Reactor from Coral Labs (Sponsor) so that I don't have to physically mix and dose kalk every night. ;)

Once the KH & Ca are maintain at Optimum, Coralines will naturally flourish. :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Not sure but don't dare to try is the name is slightly different, always look for its chemical name.

Baking Soda are Sodium Bi-Carbonate. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381