Harpadon nehereus and gymnothorax tile?

Can harpadon nehereus be kept together with 2 gymnothorax tiles and a sixline soapfish in a 135 gallon aquarium?

Soapfish: 25cm

Morays: 60cm

Harpadon nehereus :40cm

I also heard that harpadon nehereus can be aggressive. If so, will it attack the morays and soapfish?

Man, you sure have a fetish for strange fishes! :P

All three are predatory fishes. Whichever can fit into the mouth of the other may become lunch unless u feed all enough! ;)

The Harpadon can be caught during fishing (nice to eat when fried!).... but I think it will go after smaller fishes rather than bigger fishes.

Soapfishes can exude a toxic slime if threatened/handled. Be careful....

I think you need a species only tank and a larger longer tank if you want all three together.

my 2 cents.

those are big fishes...

They are not so big as to warrant such a tank. I was thinking along the line of 200+gallons! This is because 2 full grown gymnothorax tiles and 1 full grown soapfish can live in a 135 gallon. The harpadon nehereus addition will most likely just increase the width of the tank a bit, to around 3 feet and the length of the tank increased to around 5 feet. Depth can be 2 feet. Just thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

They are not so big as to warrant such a tank. I was thinking along the line of 200+gallons! This is because 2 full grown gymnothorax tiles and 1 full grown soapfish can live in a 135 gallon. The harpadon nehereus addition will most likely just increase the width of the tank a bit, to around 3 feet and the length of the tank increased to around 5 feet. Depth can be 2 feet. Just thinking.

2ft depth? it might be too low in my opinion for such bigger fishes.

2ft depth? it might be too low in my opinion for such bigger fishes.

What depth would be appropriate? 3 feet? Anyway, I do not think that depth is that important for the mentioned fishes, except the soapfish (more room for cruising), but the soapfish still does well in a tank with a depth of 2 feet. Eels and lizardfishes require length and breadth more than depth, and in my opinion, can be COMFORTABLY housed in the 5 by 3 by 2 foot tank.

• SRC Member

i'd be suprised if u can find it in LFS...

i suppose for this kind of fishes, you'll have to approach those suppliers of seafood or anglers...

dun think any LFS owners in their right frame of mind will bring them in hoping to sell them off.

:lol:

i'd be suprised if u can find it in LFS...

i suppose for this kind of fishes, you'll have to approach those suppliers of seafood or anglers...

dun think any LFS owners in their right frame of mind will bring them in hoping to sell them off.

True.