pls help: open brain care

liziqi

hi fellow reefers...

i recently got an open brain coral about 2-3 weeks in my tank. other than the slight injury at one edge of the coral, i realised throughout these 3 weeks the colour has been bleaching all around the edge, inwards from red to pink... and the coral doesn't seem to be opening much as it looks very skinny and the shape of the hard skeleton is mostly visible under the flesh, especially around the edges...

i'm using 150W 10K mh lights and the current is moderate. the other corals in my tank are doing fine.

would like to find out from you guys how do u take care of ur open brain corals, when do they expand ( with lights or at night ) and whether you feed them and with what.

currently i've moved it to my sump as i wanna try to feed it to let it recover and its really hard in the main tank due to fishs etc. just wondering whether it can actually be put under 24 hrs lighting?

would appreciate your valuable advice! thanks!

thanks for the fast reply!

i've searched the forum about it and there are so many views on how to care for them.. some say moderate light, strong light etc..

one thing i read along the way that AT said corals bleach due to sudden strong lights, could it be for my case as the person i got it from doesn't use such strong lights?

i didnt really test my phosphates... but i use rowaphos, come to think of it.. i recently have a small green hair algae problem. question: how long does rowaphos last and how you know when to change it?

nitrates are about 20?

xin24: what kind of nutrients are we talking about?

thanks again!