Iwaki MX 100 final analysis

roidan

• SRC Member

dude, agree that it is a good pond pump..but dun think can use for marine..check out all those metallic parts in contact with the water? dunno about it being subjected to pressure load but usually such pumps r flow pumps. oh yeah one more critical prob with such pumps..they r direct shaft driven, meaning they have a dynamic seal with infilled oil to run without shorting..tt means they have relative shorter life span compared to magnetic pumps..the seal needs to be replace every now and then depending on the operation condition..most ppl will think that the pump konked when the dynamic seal is worn out and short..but can be fixed easily..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wei Leong/Roidan, very interesting data... As a engr, i can relate better with data.. :P Looking at it, Wei Leong's beckett is running equiv ~6m ht and Roidan ~8m ht? So btw, what is the height of your skimmer? Just trying to see how much loss are there when going through the beckett injector. :thanks:

dude, agree that it is a good pond pump..but dun think can use for marine..check out all those metallic parts in contact with the water? dunno about it being subjected to pressure load but usually such pumps r flow pumps. oh yeah one more critical prob with such pumps..they r direct shaft driven, meaning they have a dynamic seal with infilled oil to run without shorting..tt means they have relative shorter life span compared to magnetic pumps..the seal needs to be replace every now and then depending on the operation condition..most ppl will think that the pump konked when the dynamic seal is worn out and short..but can be fixed easily..

ya .. not for marine but for fresh water pond , e.g. Koi pond. Since you complaint about the pump for your dad's pond.

• SRC Member
Depending on the actual flow.

At the same height pressure MX100 delivers more flow but at a higher consumption as you can see from the graph posted by Roidan.

At 0 head pressure MX-100 is more efficient than MX70 but this situation never occur for our usage.

I just measured my 2x250W MH, draws 6 amps... must be low power factor cheapo ballast. Don't know if change to E-ballast will help or not :P

kelvin1976 here's some url for you to read regarding power factor.

http://www.ambercaps.com/lighting/power_fa...on_concepts.htm

post-14-1102063153.jpg

Drawing more amperes doesnt really mean more costs. Our PUB watt meters register the true power(W - watts) and not the apparent power (VAR - Volt Amp Reactive)as measured by the clamp meter.

Magnetic pumps do have significant inductive load so it will actually draw more current than required. However good quality pumps should have a higher power factor.

Running poor equipments with poor power factor will not increase the electrical costs directly but it does have negative effects.

The excess amperes will heat the wires and internals of equipment, resulting in higher heat load.

The excess amperes will burn poor quality electrical products, I had my power extension burned when the MH capacitor came off!

Drawing 6amps for 2x250watts is indeed too high .. more than 2x my intake. Here's an article I wrote abt power factor correction.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136250