Montipora Capricornis

• SRC Member

Gee whizz, AT....I forgot but you remembered,:bow: ....after something like 10 months down the road!

Anyway, here's a pic of how much it has grown. It has tripled its original size now from a fist to bigger than a full palm size. In fact, its starting to make a second plate. You can get some reference point based on some ridges and contours from the old pic as well as using the size of the green star polyps to make a judgement on the size of it in the new pic...and you will definitely get an idea of its growth rate.

Poor hairy green lobophyllia below it...overshadowed and lost some of its colours :cry2: Fortunately, it grew a baby which I promptly transferred to my Nano. Its perpetuity is assured. B)

Below is the old pic taken on 9 Oct 2003. Fist size only.

post-22-1062083812.jpg

Yup the orange monti can double its diameter in a year's time.....

Mine grew sideways from a 4 inch diameter to almost 10 inch and started to thicken then it stops expanding and now it just thickening from around 3 mm to almost 10 mm now.....

These monti are just unpredictable.

How long do you have it?

hey, noticed the green star polyps near to the monti...was just wondering if u had any problem of them spreading too fast??? i've got a small piece which i boughy about 2 months back and it's starting to over-run my tank...heh...not exactly but it's already covered almost an entire peice of LR. .any remedies besides trying to remove the rock which contain them?? worried that they might sting my corals, especially the sps...i noticed that they are even creeping onto my zoos and growing onto some of the polyps...and ends up that my polpys are closed!

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Member

I got a frag of this monti from a famous frag-expert here and it has grown about 10% in 2 months! A little slower than normal cause my light are only 150W but as long as alive, I'm happy enough.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

Hi Mellow,

Yes, they spread like wildfire. I have given away 2 fist-size rock full of them and also transfered some to my other tank. Another smaller frag was given to newdamsel. Dunno how is it doing? ;) Yes, they do irritate other corals and inhibit expansion over them.

In my case, the monti grew fast enough to overshadow those polyps below it and guess what...killed them all. Now the area below the monti is pitch dark and nothing the green star polyps can do to resume its growth there. To the left are my candy canes and to the left is the lobo both of which have more powerful stings than the star polyps. For the past 10 months, its prolific growth has been checked. Sometimes proper placement of coral type can keep things from getting out of hand. :look:

Hi Chris,

I got a frag of this monti from a famous frag-expert here and it has grown about 10% in 2 months!

Good for you. You should get a good big piece in a year. B) Hmmm....Why do I get this gut wrenching feeling that I know who you are referring to? Telepathic powers? :lol:

as long as alive, I'm happy enough.

I have the same motto. Sometimes I just wish the corals don't grow so fast so that I don't have to spend so much time to re-scape, frag, tear, destroy just to keep things in order. Acro being the exception. :P