Overflow pipe

Midman

• SRC Member

Well u guys must be wondering what I'm talking about.... just put it this way....

I've been reading thru this forum and tested few of our guys DIY stuff and yes it does help me to drip my calcium but still find it troublesome to top-up every now and then....hopefully it doesn't happen to this overflow of mine.... :idea:

Objective : Overflow with calcium dripper for tank w/o overflow system

Mission 1 : Create overflow system (eg. durso pipe, I-box & others that fits)

Mission 2 : Create calcium dripper with control enable

Mission 3 : Combine both creation and create auto top-up system :eyebrow:

Have spent whole day...thinking, testing, mock-up prototype...so stressful :(

Mess all over the house and wife been tolerating my :nuke: project...hehehe

:bow:

• SRC Member

Agreed ... it is much easier to do auto top-up dripper but not cost effective as it consume current and need to buy the TUBBY. What I'm thinking is to do away with electronic gadgets..... at least I can save my bills...hehehe

no offence k.... just my 5 cents idea.

• SRC Member

Zarkon.....as per your request ;)

An acrylic will do the magic...... with few support to be considered...

the thicker acrylic will be much better as your main support... mine need to double up for more support... B)

post-9-1102346083.jpg

• SRC Member

3) From control valve drain pipe extended into kalk dispenser or dripper

Advantage : Able to control amount of drips from siphon pipes

: Drips stop when overflow pipe stops and likewise when it start

post-9-1102346950.jpg

• SRC Member

End results........

Mission 2 and 3 achieved.

Drips is constant and kalk is still above the water surface in the collection chamber .. :whistle

Kalk drip thru the end tube and almost crystal clear with 7secs interval.... still able to adjust according to individual needs....

post-9-1102347473.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi ervine.... I will provide a diagramatic view when I'm homed later. Meanwhile.... summary on how it works.

For those who own a durso/siphoning pipe or I-box will definitely understand what I mean..... for those who don't ..... pls refer to the diagram provided later.

Normally, one have to put in the rubber tube to suck in air from the U pvc tube in order to kick start the siphoning of water from the main tank into the sump.

Option : 1) U may poke a hole at one end of the U pvc tube and place an anti

flowback unit (not sure of the name) Glued and seal it with sealant.

or

2) U may slot rubber tube into the U pvc tube and suck in... still require

anti flowback unit near the mid of the rubber tube or at any position of

rubber tube as deem fit.

or

3) U may tap in from the overflow box even

Place a control valve at the end of the tube for better controlling of amount of drips require to meet your tank needs. Take note after ###### of saltwater from the siphoning tube ... just let the water flows till stable before shutting off the valve.

Next attach the kalk dripper at ur sump using double sided tape or velco it for easy maintenance in future. Sew a semi permeable cloth for holding the Kalk media and slot it into kalk dripper with the media already placed in. Do remember to place the dripper rubber outlet into the sump.

Once dripper is in place... put the rubber tube from the siphoning pvc tube into the dripper media. Use initiative to secure the rubber tube from looking messy.

Advisable to have a transparent dripper for easy viewing and balancing. Also to take note rubber tube must be 1 inch above the collection chamber so that a clear kalk is achieved.

For further explaination, I will provide the illustration diagram.

Will do some test on the drips concentration for a month.

• SRC Member

It simply run on its own.... just like an overflow ..... water from the siphon tube will flows thru the rubberize tube as well.... wait till all the air inside the rubberize tube is cleared then close the control valve. However u need to suck in water thru the rubberize tube first. Just like u ###### air from the siphon U pvc tube.

Attached another diagram.... :angel:

Overflow_with_Kalk_Dripper.doc

• SRC Member

bro, correct me if i'm wrong, i think the main component is the anti-back flow. i also have a U-pipe but the other end of my tube is connected to the air intake of my REIO. I didn't know that once the u-pipe is filled up and the water is flowing then water will come out of the tube itself. I thought it will suck air and break siphon. i guess that's why the anti-backflow was installed (correct?)

what would happen if the end of the tube (from the u-pipe) is submerged underwater? will water continue to flow? the reason i'm asking is was thinking that if I could put it at the bottom of my kalk container then the water coming in would push up my kalk solution which would spill out of the outlet tube.

would it work? does the water flowing down from the tube have enough pressure to push through?

1. Via-Aqua MultiSkimmer - $25.00

2. DIY Kalk Reactor - $25.00

3. Atman Protein Skimmer - $25.00

PM Me if interested.

• SRC Member

Bro Supremo...... you're absolutely right... the main key is the anti back flow.

I tried submerged it into my ref.... yes it still flows

Well for it to work with ur kalk container.... I don't think so it will.. as the pressure are not enough to push ur kalk down the other tube that's the reason why I control more on the rubberize tube from the siphon U pvc tube. So much that it will drip into the semi permeable cloth stuffed with kalk or any other dose elements you requires and easily flows into the collection chamber. Till it reaches the overflow tube tip.... then tada :eyebrow: the solution will drip into the ref.

Just for a tip.... u may use unused acrylic/plastic pencil box or even purchase for less than $2 and seal it with sealant. Cut the upper half or quarter and place a small piece in between to act as a support for your home made cloth bag. Poke a hole below.. then insert a tube slightly deeper and seal it. Dripper is ready for use once the sealant dried off.

• SRC Member

Hi Midman,

After reading your diy overflow pipe for dripping the calcium hydroxide, I have to point out something you may not think of...... I may be wrong but I think less calcium get mixed into the tank with your design. The reason is b'cos there are CO2 in the air! When calcium hydroxide exposed to CO2 in the air, lesser and lesser calcium is left...... unless your design has cater for that and I did not fully understand it.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm