newbie needs help!

jonathan543

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hi Acedopline,

If your source can accommodate a mixture of difference type such as Dwarf + Reidi + others, I would like to have 10 pairs of Dwarf. I am madly in love with Dwarf - easy to maintain, promiscuous and profilic...and,

All guys how about a gathering - Seahorse fanatic meeting - to discuss plans and resources for the breeding of next generation?

• SRC Member
Hi Acedopline,

If your source can accommodate a mixture of difference type such as Dwarf + Reidi + others, I would like to have 10 pairs of Dwarf. I am madly in love with Dwarf - easy to maintain, promiscuous and profilic...and,

All guys how about a gathering - Seahorse fanatic meeting - to discuss plans and resources for the breeding of next generation?

not a bad idea! can mit at pasir ris farms lor..... can shop and discuss! :lol:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

me feeding with freshwater shrimps that can be easily bought at fish shops..... i never know a creature with a tube for its mouth can be so fierce when feeding!

it'll swim in a upside down manner in a creeping pace when it sighted its prey.... with both its eyes fully intended on the shrimp... then when it had reached near enough, it'll stop breathing & slowly arch its head back before *snap*! gotcha! the sound of the mouth snapping on the shrimp was quite audible wor... facinating.... heex... would love to see a sh feed like that!

• SRC Member
me feeding with freshwater shrimps that can be easily bought at fish shops..... i never know a creature with a tube for its mouth can be so fierce when feeding!

it'll swim in a upside down manner in a creeping pace when it sighted its prey.... with both its eyes fully intended on the shrimp... then when it had reached near enough, it'll stop breathing & slowly arch its head back before *snap*! gotcha! the sound of the mouth snapping on the shrimp was quite audible wor... facinating.... heex... would love to see a sh feed like that!

for mine....it chased after the shrimp...swim over then lower its tail down, press the shrimp...the shrimp cannot run away liao...then bend over and wack.....into the mouth it goes...

• SRC Member

Ours with FW shrimps but enriched it with cyclop-eeze prior feeding. Weekend special with SW shrimps. An inch longer after 6 months.

Pasir Ris should be a good place with SW shrimp. UDMC chalets sea side. Larvae Shrimp usually found both sides of a swampy estuary at ebbing or near to low tides. Use a foot by foot fine net should do the jobs and prepare to get wet.

An old friend of mine is considering shrimping and pack for sale. May be 100 shrimps in a pack. How does it sound fellow enthusiast?

:rolleyes:

Another good place to catch small baby shrimps is at Sembawang park sea side. I usually go there with my familly and catch them, till today. Once free, we will drive here, better that Pasiris. SH love them.

FYI, It depends on the timing and water conditions. If the water good, not oily and dark.....you can catch a lot as you can see these babies swimming in thousands near the sea side rocks.

• SRC Member

Go decentkid go go go.... shrimping. A big bucket, big net and a little air pump. Don't catch more than enough. They will died easily when temp rises. Normally put about 120 lasting about 3 days for 4 SH.

Mid tide is the best. Approximately 6 hours between high and low.

Good luck.

Ours with FW shrimps but enriched it with cyclop-eeze prior feeding. Weekend special with SW shrimps. An inch longer after 6 months.

Pasir Ris should be a good place with SW shrimp. UDMC chalets sea side. Larvae Shrimp usually found both sides of a swampy estuary at ebbing or near to low tides. Use a foot by foot fine net should do the jobs and prepare to get wet.

An old friend of mine is considering shrimping and pack for sale. May be 100 shrimps in a pack. How does it sound fellow enthusiast?

:rolleyes:

have ar? lolx i'm sure was interested... tried west coast today... eee sucks... nothing at all man... the coastal line, the big longkang... nothing at all! omg :cry2:

me staying in the west... other than west coast there's no shoreline liao... or anybody can suggest?

me juz bought a pair of tigertails... for $50sia... feel kanna tok liao... but bo bianz... but they dun seemed to be feeding lei... tried frozen mysis & live brineshrimps... not abit interested... but when i tried live fw shrimps, they attacked the shrimps... but gave up soon after they can't managed to suck in the shrimps... i already choose the smallest ones but still too big for them... now munching on pods & other tiny bugs in the tanks... any idea guys? before they starved to death! :cry2:

• SRC Member

have ar? lolx i'm sure was interested... tried west coast today... eee sucks... nothing at all man... the coastal line, the big longkang... nothing at all! omg :cry2:

me staying in the west... other than west coast there's no shoreline liao... or anybody can suggest?

me juz bought a pair of tigertails... for $50sia... feel kanna tok liao... but bo bianz... but they dun seemed to be feeding lei... tried frozen mysis & live brineshrimps... not abit interested... but when i tried live fw shrimps, they attacked the shrimps... but gave up soon after they can't managed to suck in the shrimps... i already choose the smallest ones but still too big for them... now munching on pods & other tiny bugs in the tanks... any idea guys? before they starved to death! :cry2:

WHAT!!! $50 FOR A PAIR OF TIGER TAILS!?!?!?

your tiger tails made of gold arh...the price now around $15 or $18 leh... <_<

anyway....west coast got nothing lar....shld not even call it a coast... :lol::lol:

i also stay west....once i start my sh tank again will call u...then we go shrimping

btw....bro chris low....

if i catch extra and keep in my sump can?

cos chiller so temp fulctuation not really that big

WHAT!!! $50 FOR A PAIR OF TIGER TAILS!?!?!?

your tiger tails made of gold arh...the price now around $15 or $18 leh... <_<

anyway....west coast got nothing lar....shld not even call it a coast... :lol::lol:

i also stay west....once i start my sh tank again will call u...then we go shrimping

btw....bro chris low....

if i catch extra and keep in my sump can?

cos chiller so temp fulctuation not really that big

actually it was $30per pcs wor... then i said i used to get tigertails at a place in yishin for $8nia... then he paisay & quote me $25per pc... okies lor... they seemed happi & active... with the male showing shades of yellow on his tummy & almost the whole underside of his tail... sianz... can pls tell me how to get the sh to feed?

• SRC Member

actually it was $30per pcs wor... then i said i used to get tigertails at a place in yishin for $8nia... then he paisay & quote me $25per pc... okies lor... they seemed happi & active... with the male showing shades of yellow on his tummy & almost the whole underside of his tail... sianz... can pls tell me how to get the sh to feed?

tiger tails usually very small....seldom lfs sell big ones....so its quite hard to feed fw shrimps...what i do is buy one packet at night...thats when the small ones are left...then i cull the big ones...i know very wasted...but no choice...if not i feed brine shrimp....but remember....both have to be enriched espcailly the brine shrimp....later once they settle dow n then start training on frozen

• SRC Member

try keeping them in bare bottom tank with slight water movement enough to get the Frozens floating for a while..... they will after a while think this floating frozns "live"

from my exp... it will work some how.... ;)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

Hi Janathan543, to your rescue!

Bukit Gombak - Xiao QuiLin park. Quary pond side. Use a small net, scoop toward the muddy bankside. Guarante small FW shrimps ranging from 10mm to 15mm size. Your new seahorses should love it. Do reserve some for me. Keep me posted of yor new seahorse condition.

Decentkid, No problem but please limit to just enough for couple of days. It will loadup your bio-system if dead.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to All, not forgetting our seahorses....

Hi Janathan543, to your rescue!

Bukit Gombak - Xiao QuiLin park. Quary pond side. Use a small net, scoop toward the muddy bankside. Guarante small FW shrimps ranging from 10mm to 15mm size. Your new seahorses should love it. Do reserve some for me. Keep me posted of yor new seahorse condition.

Decentkid, No problem but please limit to just enough for couple of days. It will loadup your bio-system if dead.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to All, not forgetting our seahorses....

lolx thanks man... i'll try my luck in the next few days ba... but if there's sw shrimps to be caught the best lor... koz fw shrimps dies in sw... but thanks for the suggestions!

well they finally tried nipping on frozen mysis... *phew*

havent gone fw shrimping yet but i bought a pack wit plenty of small ones... but juz as a sh started to move forward to see more clearly, the alligator pipe juz slurp it down... and the sh still cant get the smallest shrimp down.... still too big.... sianz

after i thawed a cube of mysis with some garlic mixture & squirt into the tank, they started to show interest oni after the mysis had landed on the bottom for some time... and they looked really hard & long before deciding to nip... even so, most of the time it was the female that was eating... the male like was just observing the female & the gator pipes makaning. till now there's no signs of thin sides of both sh tummy too... now the female had turned to almost all yellow, oni the top of the head & the spine shades of black & grey. the male remained blackish grey with the yellowish parts oni visible on his tail segment... why is it so? the female i remembered having the colour almost identical with the male... is it smt wrong with my water?

plus my gator pipe had turned into a strange colour too... most gator pipe i saw were of a yellowish green with black streaks... mine was of darker greenish brown with faint red streaks throughout his body, concentrating more on his underside of his tail, bottom side edges of his body & sides of his head.... facinating... the gator i think was female, mostly greyish black with red streaks not dat striking as the male... is smt wrong with my water or the colours are okies de?