2 or 3 Pin socket extensions?

junyong84

• SRC Member

Hi guys, i m intending to get a socket extensions for my new tank. you know, those long kind, that have several sockets in it.

but which one shld i get? 2 pin or 3 pin socket?

I understand that most marine equipments only used 2 pin, so by using 2 pin socket extensions is a better choice, plus 2 pin socket extensions are much cheaper.

I have did a search on timers in this forum, most people use 'The Ben', but anint all timers 3 pin? That means getting a 2 pin socket extension wldn't be a very good choice. But if i get a 3 pin socket extension just for the timer, i would have to buy a lot of convertors(3pin to 2 pin convertors) and thats not very econmical...

How shld i go about solving this problem? Is there by any chance, any extensions that have 2 pin or 3 pin together?

• SRC Member

yes!

there r some multiplugs that hav 2 pins by the side + 3 pins along the length... try get these if u tink they r more practical... ;)

fyi, all timers hav to work on 3 pins so try work out ur total number before purchasing ;)

try look out for them in supermarkets n hardware stores... i bought 1 from a hardware store b4 :)

I think it would be better to change all your equipment to 3 pin sockets. Reason being - 3 pin sockets/plugs will give a better contact. If using two pin types, it might become loose, leading to intermient contact, heat build up and ...

As an added reason, the 3 pin configuration will be safer as it will have an earth pin. Of course, it is only true if your equipment has been wired for an earth in the first place. Example, I just bought a Eheim 1060 with 2 pins only (i.e. Live and Neutral). When I cut away the plug, I notice 3 wires (Live, Earth and Neutral). Either the earth wire was not connected or the plug was configured for another standard, other than Singapore's.

Regards

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius