need advise on mobile phone.

vtec3100

• SRC Member

Hi,

If i get someone to buy a 3G mobile phone back from japan.

will the phone be able to use in singapore (as if it was bought in singapore)?

will there be any different on the mobile phone handset between buy from japan and buy from singapore?

If the mobile phone can be used in singapore, how n what should i do to get a 'USIM' card from Singtel??

Thanks for your advises...

btw, which 3G mobile phone was the latest n the best in the market? i mean in both japan and singapore.

Cheers

• SRC Member

all this while, i've been seeing adverts stating... NEW 3G PHONE! this and that but, i still don't know what is a 3G phone.. saw somewhere it's actually Third Generation but then what's the differences? is it.. 1st gen = PCK phones,

2nd gen = colour , 3rd gen = bluetooth, wap ... ? does it go that way? :unsure:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

dun think you will be able to use a made for japan 3G fone in sgp...

they are not using GSM or PCN line.

i think they are using another type of CDMA.

if not,long time ago will see a major influx of NTT fones into SGP liaoz.

• SRC Member

3G is juz better in bandwidth fast video streaming, video conference & security for transactions. fones from japan can be use in s'pore, BUT, get the global type which supports UMTS/WCDMA. juz go to singtel n request for USIM which cost u $18.90 n u'llhv free access of video conference till end feb (but no use if u only get 1).

i've check some models which i suppose Sharp has better chances in using in s'pore. juz dun get 3G fones that has inprint of Vodafone. not able to use it as their settings are imbedded (not able to change). so look ard as their whole streets of shops selling fones! see no finish ar!!!

• SRC Member

certai triband indicates use in usa (1900), while another triband means 1800/900/wcdma. on the latter, it cant be use in usa.

so long as get the global type of 3G fone fm japan, sure can use. BUT! data connection/video calls/streaming may have problems as the transmission may not be compatible with the telco server.

anyway, the 3G fones in japan are not really cheap. except those u hv to sign contract but these fones can only use in japan, super cheap! less than $100 oso hv.