Light supplement for clams

joeyttk

Hi,

I currently have an alcardia MH which contains 2x150mh [14k] and 2 actinic blue.

I just want to improve the lighting conditions for my corals. As my tank are enclosed in a wall partition, it will be difficult to add additional T5/T8 FL.

As such, I have 2 questions:

a. Will it help if I increase the duration of my MH from 8 to 10/12 hours ? The depth of my tank is 3 feet [inclusive of a 5" sand bed"]. I will like to utilize the sand bed better hence was hoping that by increasing my photo period, I can start to put some 'difficult' corals like clams on the sandbed [currently they are all near the top, hence cannot appreciate the colours easily]

b. Or can I swap one of my actinic blue to a T8 white light ? If so, does anyone knows what the impact of a missing actinic blue will be on my corals ? Will they need the blue it ? Does anyone else own an alcardia and as such wonder if this is feasible ?

thanks, any answers will be greatly appreciated :)

joey

• SRC Member

yeah, 250watt would be gd! :evil: mine are 1 ft from the mh only... :P

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

As per advised 250w is a better option. if you have the lenght or with go for 1 x 250w 10kk and another 250w 20kk. You will have a balance between growth and colors. But be prepared for a hike in electrical bills.

I believe your current is 150w supplented with actinic t8. t8s are not enough to punch through even 1.5ft of water not to talk about 3ft! ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Hi,

I currently have an alcardia MH which contains 2x150mh [14k] and 2 actinic blue.

I just want to improve the lighting conditions for my corals. As my tank are enclosed in a wall partition, it will be difficult to add additional T5/T8 FL.

As such, I have 2 questions:

a. Will it help if I increase the duration of my MH from 8 to 10/12 hours ? The depth of my tank is 3 feet [inclusive of a 5" sand bed"]. I will like to utilize the sand bed better hence was hoping that by increasing my photo period, I can start to put some 'difficult' corals like clams on the sandbed [currently they are all near the top, hence cannot appreciate the colours easily]

b. Or can I swap one of my actinic blue to a T8 white light ? If so, does anyone knows what the impact of a missing actinic blue will be on my corals ? Will they need the blue it ? Does anyone else own an alcardia and as such wonder if this is feasible ?

thanks, any answers will be greatly appreciated :)

joey

eh clams not corals....

If you wanna keep clams... Those lighting are definately not enough... well maybe enough for brown looking squamosa or derasa clams..... crocea and maxima need at least >250watt to thrive.... and they need to be placed high up....

IMO swapping for actinic to white would not be any used... increasing lighting duration would not be any used also so i guess only way is to upgrade lighting...

Lastly, lighting are just a small part to coral keeping... Many other factor are much more important ;);)

hi,

thanks a lot for all these advises fellow.

I am really a electrical idiot. A lot of my DIY stuff result in massive electrical trip [see my other posting].

Due to the congestion on my cupboard space [i have a alcadia inside the enclosed cupboard]. There isn't any space to add another row of lights.

Hence, the idea is to DIY 1 250MH and seats them in between my 2x150MH.

Does anyone knows if there is a shop that can do all these DIY job [especially the mounting will be quite tricky] ?

Please help!!!

thanks

joey. :bow::bow::bow:

• Sponsor
hi,

thanks a lot for all these advises fellow.

I am really a electrical idiot. A lot of my DIY stuff result in massive electrical trip [see my other posting].

Due to the congestion on my cupboard space [i have a alcadia inside the enclosed cupboard]. There isn't any space to add another row of lights.

Hence, the idea is to DIY 1 250MH and seats them in between my 2x150MH.

Does anyone knows if there is a shop that can do all these DIY job [especially the mounting will be quite tricky] ?

Please help!!!

thanks

joey. :bow::bow::bow:

Hi Joey,

my advise to you is to upgrade ur 2x150watts MH to 2x250watts MH. rather than 2x150watts + 1x250watts.

Since ur have a height of 3ft, a 2x250watts is the best setup for u. ;)

u can browse through my Webpage on the MH setup. since yours is a built in unit, it is much easier to assemble and hide the fixture to have a clean look.

• SRC Member

IMHO, i think you can still get away with 1x250w MH.....just have clams on 1 side of your tank where the lights fall....:)

if get 2x250.....might as well 1x400w (assumping you are keeping your 150w)....then you will have an area of intense lights for your beloved clams.....

hi,

I think u are rite!! I almost forgot about the 400. The only concern I have rite now is the power consumption. I only have 1 power point, so it means that it has to support the current/amphere for my alcardia[2xT8+ 2x150], 2 powerhead and 1x400.

Dunno whether will trip or not.

Does anyone knows how thin or narrow an MH can be ? All the MH that I saw are pretty width and tall. I hope that if they can be made flatter [i.e. with external ballast], it wont block so much of my 2x150 alcardia

joey.