Thinking of getting a new skimmer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HI all , am thinking of getting a new skimmer . But am only having a FOWLR tank now. But im hoping to upgrade it to a reef in 1/2 - 1 yr time.

So which skimmer is most suitable for me and can still be used for my dream 3 " reef tank (currently only 2 feet)?

thanks!@

Wat budget?? Guess a Macro needlewheel is a good buy! not to ex and yet effective... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

i'm currently using macro as350p on my current 3 ft with 2 ft sump, just nice....

but a as350p wld be too big n unsightly for a 2ft....

i hav a spare weipro 2012, if u need it for the time being, i dun mind lending u for ur current 2 ft... when u upgrade ur tank, then buy a betta one then... ;)

• SRC Member
i hav a spare weipro 2012, if u need it for the time being, i dun mind lending u for ur current 2 ft... when u upgrade ur tank, then buy a betta one then... ;)

this is the spirit of sharing and enjoying the hobby.

kudos to you, bro Clownfish. :bow::bow:

• SRC Member
Hi,

If u got budget, go for H&S, they r very good, but the price is on high side!!! :P

ER....tink she wouldn't be consedering this at this pt in time

in any case, i believe if u dun use lousy stuff u wun b able to appreciate gd stuff so go for either weipro or macro first then u will appreciate hns wen u decide to buy it

• SRC Member
i'm currently using macro as350p on my current 3 ft with 2 ft sump, just nice....

but a as350p wld be too big n unsightly for a 2ft....

thanks clown for your kindness.

But i don't think it will be appropriate of me to take it.

But i will prefer some good advice on a skimmer:)

Am currently setting my budget to 150 -200.

surely this can get me at least a decent skimmer ?

I don't want to buy another skimmer if ive decided to change to 3 ft tank .

cheers

• SRC Member

ER....tink she wouldn't be consedering this at this pt in time

in any case, i believe if u dun use lousy stuff u wun b able to appreciate gd stuff so go for either weipro or macro first then u will appreciate hns wen u decide to buy it

hehe you do make a lil sense here..

if i dont have my 10 dollar skimmerm i would not appreciate the macro ..

Cheers

Whats your budget.. i would suggest for for the best skimmer you can afford with... Anyway you can search ard the net for macro needlewheel and you will notice that there are alot of problems.... Oh ya bubble count in the macro needlewheel also CMI(cannot make it) thus even those skimmate may be kopi o but its not effective..... I used to be a weipro user.. comment is that the supplier over rate this skimmer..... bubble count in weipro reaction chamber is even worst ;);) so if you can afford deltec, H&S get them.. if not get at least a DIY beckett from one of the sponsor here.. gurantee you see difference and save you the hassle of continously upgrading... I have been there done that so dun want other reefer to follow me :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
No ive not.

Im still trying to get a feedback on skimmers.

Am can i get a decent skimmer  with $200 ?

Or should i just use my $10 skimmer till i change to my 3 feet.

?

PLS!

dun use yr $10 skimmer animore!

200+ u can get a super big macro or weipro that is overkill for yr tank

for yr tank 100 can get a gd enough macro or weipro (personally i'd take macro)

as for hns and the likes of it, u need 800-1200 bucks

so with 100....go for macro

u wanna noe where to get u can pm me

i'd be glad to help

:)

and i agree with roiden...the next upgrade u should be aiming for should be a 4 footer

if u stay hdb flat...try not to go above this for weight concerns

cheers!

No ive not.

Im still trying to get a feedback on skimmers.

Am can i get a decent skimmer with $200 ?

Or should i just use my $10 skimmer till i change to my 3 feet.

?

Now dun get first... save abit more till your feet come.. den buy one good good one

• SRC Member
seriously if u want to upgrade later...go for 2ft increments or more...

from 2ft to 3ft is not substantial enough, you will find yourself aiming for 4-5ft not long after you set up your 3ft ;)

i went from 2 to 4 to 6.....

probably 8 is the next auspicious number :lol:

Oh hahahahah thats funny...

yea this is addictive ..lol

Enjoy the weekend ahead :)

Different Strokes for Different Fokes!

When I first help one of my best friend set-up his 2ft tank. Weipro was rated very well, it was supposed to be the cheapest decent skimmer able to churn out thick dark skimate. At that time, I remembered even threads comparing Weipro skimate with well established brands like H n S, Aqua C etc. :D

I have previously help a couple of good friends set-up small little 2ft tanks in their dormatory and have been happy with Weipro until recently when I help install a 2nd hand Aqua Medic Bio Flotor for another room-mate whose Weipro although functioning well was not suitable in his room due to size.

Although the Bio Flotor was rated humbly as compared to the Weipro, it out performed the bigger Weipro in term of bubbles size, skimate collected and even the frequency of water changes. After he told me that, I did a slight experiment by place both skimmer side by side for a week and realized that the Bio Flotor pick up much more than the Weipro which all of us know is much bigger and consumme much more electricity :evil:

Being a consumer, it is very hard for us to gauge which skimmer or any other skimmer is better until we have tried it personally in the same environment, setting and condition. :D

As such, I will always reccommend reefers to get a skimmer that fit their budget and at the same time made by a reputable company even if they have to get it 2nd hand. Cus there is lots of minors details that some company will never be able to fully copy! :evil:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
MACRO!

cheap and performs much better than its price commands and comes with pump!

dun think weipro can fight with it

wen u upgrade to reef tank u can start considering hns schuran or beckett... :eyebrow:

bro some of my seniors reefers friends are using weipro skimmer for their full sps tank...........

dun comdemn weipro skimmer like tat leh....................... :D:D:D

• SRC Member

Hi all, sorry to stir up such a commotion.

MAybe all brands have their pros and cons.

Im sorry if i caused any unrest:(

As for me, HNS or beckett is way outta my budget.

Am thinking of either a big macro or the AQUA C remora.

am thinking of a 3(length) x1.5 (breadth) x 3 (height) custom tank in the next 6mths to a year.

So if im going to upgrade that, can i use my current 2 feet tank for the sump and use the $200 worth skimmer ?

sorry if some of my questions might sound dumb...im just trying to learn

Cheers!