Lighting & Powerhead Position Advice Needed

Felix Wong

Hi, I have a nano-reef tank with 4 False Percula, an agressive False Gramma & a Gold-belly Damsel with 3 corals (Octopus, Jewel and Sun) and a fan worm.

The lighting I used currently on my 2-ft tank is an 18" Marine Blue Light and Arcadia Marine White Light. Somehow, I find it a bit dim, thought it could be brighter.

Should I replace the Marine Blue Light with a Freshwater White Light (which I had previously when I kept a planted freshwater tank)?

By the way, I find the Freshwater White Light much brighter than the Marine White Light.

Did anyone made a comparison on the light spectrum/intensity of these 2 lights?

On Water Movement,

Currently the only thing that causes water movement is the returning pipe (from external filter) placed across the tank with tiny holes returning the filtered water. I would like to put in a powerhead.

Is there any optimal position to place the powerhead?

I'm alternating phyto with zooplankton in feeding my corals? Is that the usual practice?

How do I get my Sun Coral to display its bright yellow tentacles fully?

When the lights are switched on, the tentacles are not displayed but when I switch off the lights, it starts to show a little. Are they nocturnal?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Felix (new to the hobby)

Hi, I have a nano-reef tank with 4 False Percula, an agressive False Gramma & a Gold-belly Damsel with 3 corals (Octopus, Jewel and Sun) and a fan worm.

The lighting I used currently on my 2-ft tank is an 18" Marine Blue Light and Arcadia Marine White Light. Somehow, I find it a bit dim, thought it could be brighter.

Should I replace the Marine Blue Light with a Freshwater White Light (which I had previously when I kept a planted freshwater tank)?

By the way, I find the Freshwater White Light much brighter than the Marine White Light. You can do so or change it to a light from a better brand such as Coralife or Arcadia - they have something called Reef Sun or something that are brighter.

Did anyone made a comparison on the light spectrum/intensity of these 2 lights? Check our Arcadia or Coralife sites they have the spectrum listings

On Water Movement,

Currently the only thing that causes water movement is the returning pipe (from external filter) placed across the tank with tiny holes returning the filtered water. I would like to put in a powerhead.

Is there any optimal position to place the powerhead? Not really as long as it is blowing to a large area.

I'm alternating phyto with zooplankton in feeding my corals? Is that the usual practice? According to A. Calfo, most corals feeds on Zooplankton with some exception. Most of us feed phytoplankton to cater to the overall diversity and also to the pods, rotifers or even some micro-organism in the tank.

How do I get my Sun Coral to display its bright yellow tentacles fully?

When the lights are switched on, the tentacles are not displayed but when I switch off the lights, it starts to show a little. Are they nocturnal? Yup they are nocturnal and requires regular feeds of Zooplankton at around the same time daily to encourage extention of polyps. Also, having a power head blowing twoard it from afar will only help in bring whatever food particles to it since they can't move by themself.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. Your welcome. ;)

Felix (new to the hobby)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Thanks Gouldian.

I'll check out the Arcadia range of lights but always do not seem to find a good range in many LFS esp those of 18" since mine is a 2ft tank.

Since Sun Coral is "nocturnal", I should locate it in shaded area.

Regards.

Felix

Go to Clementi Florist at block 328 Clementi, they usually have ample stocks.

It would be good to keep them in shade. You can read about how I do it at our sponsor - Marine Life's forum.

Cheers, ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381