Need help with Macro 250 Skimmer

yiling

• SRC Member

hi all , i just got my macro 250 and i have trouble installing it

can any kind soul help me out with it ??

im currently

do i have to submerge the WATER OUTLET HOSE and the pump in the water ?

if yes,

how deep do i submerge my pump ?

10 cm or 10 mm ?

how come my whole tank is full of bubbles ??

Help pls....

my LS is in a turmoil !!

• SRC Member

for the fine bubbles in your tank - if you are using a sump, it has to do with the design of the partitions.

for the skimmer pump - somewhere between 1-3cm. u'll get lots of bubbles going into the chamber. more then that, they decrease substantially.

juz my 2cts :)

woah...the macro return flow known 2 have remnant foam.4 me i'm using a sock to cover the return hose so as to stop bubbles from entering my sump.but if no sump and u cover the return hose a bit ugly leh.

• SRC Member

errr....using socks to cover the output is not a good idea...because it can get clog....and you'll end up with a flood!!!!

for me, my weipro in 2 feet without sump also generate lots of bubble, end up fish hiding and bubble on corals....so have to scrafice effiency by switching to a less powerful pump....

• SRC Member

if pump is 3-5cm from water level then u no need to bring it higher

from wat i see, yr skimmate is correct...skimmer is skimming fine.

lots of bubbles in the narrowing part! :D

if u wanna tune somemore, u see the red knob?

u try turning

• SRC Member

yiling how much did u buy this skimmer for? coz i'm thinking of getting 1 also and wats the output of the pump?

Hi, Im using oni the as100 for my 2ft tank... I direct the output to the glass den observe where the bubble go and point it more to the bottom of the tank in a way that the bubble will trap and filter out from my live rock... in this way, it will reduce the bubble that come into view immediately... bt nt sure if it will work for ur bigger skimmer...

• SRC Member

mayb u can try placing ur skimmer higher n ur return hose higher..instead of letting the hose gush dwn vertically mayb u can try n place it horizontally to allow water in the skimmer 2 stay longer....mine used to b like dis n after those adjustments..theres sum slight improvement....

:peace: juz my 2 miserable cents....

• SRC Member

I had the same problem but it seems it has a lot to do with the water condition. It's a good idea to cover the water return pipe firstly cos it will trap the bubbles and secondly it serves as a filter of sorts. I used some medical dressing gauze to cover it and boy did i get some dirt after a while. But bubbles were totally reduced. problem wiith this method is that the collection cup often overflows cos outlet resistance is too high and no amount of tuning the red knob will bring it down. So it really depends on getting the right medium to cover the outlet, preferably something hydrophobic and quite porous at e same time. Am currently still experimenting.

I tried directing the pipe to e back of the tank, this way at least won't blur my view and scare e LS but as my tank is too small it blew a crater in the sand bed. So now I direct it into the colosuem of LR I have. It helps to break out the bubbles and hide them I guess.

Just my 2 cents worth yup. All the best :)

juz be careful with the sock.i change my sock every week coz the solid buid up may choke the return hose. :)

u don't wanna come back home 1 fine day and see clear water in the skimmer cup and puddles of water on ur floor. :o

best 2 get a sump....life would be much easier. :lol: