New 2ft tank

tsutsumi

Done with cycling... added livestock in already... bt a poor signal goby die on me...

Cycled for two weeks b4 adding in livestock...

Pls comment on my equipment list... plannin to start off with fowlr.... tht's y usin oni a FL light...

Will be changing to use cannister filter... tied dwn on a second-hand jebo 809... Interested to learn more on cannister filter...

1. wat filter medium shd i to minimize maintenance and water change?

2. learnt that cannister filter will rpoduce a lot of nitrate... how to control this?

today check my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level... nitrate level nt very sastisfying... need water change liao... jux change 1 week ago... sad...

• SRC Member
Here's my livestock:

- beauty coral angel

- cleaner shrimp

- snail

- feather dusters

- signal goby (15-Jan-05 ~ 17-Jan-05)

Hi Bro,

sorry i can't help notice the pic below in your message.

seeing signal goby you have in your 2ft tank with just 6kg of live rock. your tank is new and rock is too few to constant supply the food source it require for it.

cheers

Moxa

• SRC Member
Done with cycling... added livestock in already... bt a poor signal goby die on me...

Cycled for two weeks b4 adding in livestock...

Pls comment on my equipment list... plannin to start off with fowlr.... tht's y usin oni a FL light...

Will be changing to use cannister filter... tied dwn on a second-hand jebo 809... Interested to learn more on cannister filter...

1. wat filter medium shd i to minimize maintenance and water change?

2. learnt that cannister filter will rpoduce a lot of nitrate... how to control this?

today check my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level... nitrate level nt very sastisfying... need water change liao... jux change 1 week ago... sad...

good reference on your coral beauty

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=438

compatibility chart

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

cheers

Moxa

Hi Bro,

sorry i can't help notice the pic below in your message.

seeing signal goby you have in your 2ft tank with just 6kg of live rock. your tank is new and rock is too few to constant supply the food source it require for it.

cheers

Moxa

u mean signal goby need to be feed a lot ar...

• SRC Member

cannister or hang on filter is nv meant gd enough for marine. Why dun u get right from the start. Buy a sump, or DIY one. u can 'hide' alot of things from ur main tank, and do gd for ur tank itself too. And FL is nv an option for marine, unless u only intend to keep FOWLR(fish only with liverocks). And for ur signal, a mature enough tank is more recommanded. I kept mine for ard 1yr den it do report to it's fishmates. All da best and pick up ur knowledge along the way. One more thing, keeping marine is nv cheap. :peace:

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

cannister or hang on filter is nv meant gd enough for marine. Why dun u get right from the start. Buy a sump, or DIY one. u can 'hide' alot of things from ur main tank, and do gd for ur tank itself too. And FL is nv an option for marine, unless u only intend to keep FOWLR(fish only with liverocks). And for ur signal, a mature enough tank is more recommanded. I kept mine for ard 1yr den it do report to it's fishmates. All da best and pick up ur knowledge along the way. One more thing, keeping marine is nv cheap. :peace:

wish for a sump too.. bt no money and space for a sump...

due to budget constraint... u tink cannister filter will be better than hang-on filter?...

Light isn't ym main concern yet, as i starting with fowlr... Im veri eager to learn how to remove my nitrate with my current setup. I manage to cap the ammonia and nitrite level, bt nt the nitrate level... very fustrated with the constant need to change water weekly... tot i could change water like oni monthly... could anione enlighten me... :cry2:

• SRC Member

wish for a sump too.. bt no money and space for a sump...

due to budget constraint... u tink cannister filter will be better than hang-on filter?...

Light isn't ym main concern yet, as i starting with fowlr... Im veri eager to learn how to remove my nitrate with my current setup. I manage to cap the ammonia and nitrite level, bt nt the nitrate level... very fustrated with the constant need to change water weekly... tot i could change water like oni monthly... could anione enlighten me... :cry2:

Why is there a need to control your ammonia and nitrite?

It should be 0 when you have properly cycled your tank.

using a cannister for your tank is quite all right. I used to use a cannister filter, but it will be better if you can use a surface skimmer in conjunction with the cannister.

To bring down your nitrate level, feed the fishes less. clean your cannister often(once a week is recommended) for a 2 ft tank, try to have those fishes which are small eaters...gobies are a good choice. if you can do the weekly maintenance of your skimme.cannister...i dun see the need to do a water change every week. once a month will be sufficient for a FOWLR tank.

just my 2 cents worth.

;)

Hi Diabolus,

Mayb you can advice me on the filter medium to use... wool, rowaphos, carbon, bio-ring... how, what brand to use, etc...

What's a surface skimmer?.. Is it different from needle wheel skimmer(currently using marco as100)...

How would u wash your filter?... Do you use the water in your aquarium to wash the filter medium?... Do you actually scrub or just rinse the medium?

Pls provide me with more info on the use of cannister and ways to keep nitrates down... Today my nitrate level measure 50ppm... sad... Read about AZNO3... Does it work... ani side effects...

Sorri for the bombardment, just to eagar to maintain a tnak with good water parameters for my fishes... Thankz

• SRC Member

Hi dude,

Surface skimmer is not the skimmer you use to skim out DOC in your tank. Its actually an apparatus that help to clean the surface of the water from oil/dirt/dust. People with sumps dont require this cos of the overflow design, but cannister users will often get a cost of oil or dust on the surface. Another way to get rid of the surface scum is to place a piece of paper kitchen towel on the surface for a second and remove it, but may need to do a few times to fully remove it.

Wash cannister with RO/DI or distilled water is the best. As for the hardware, you may need to scrub it clean. As for the medium, rinsing with RO/DI or distilled water to get rid of detitus will do.

As for AZNO3 I never use this product before thus can't comment. But some users here had reported good results wif it, do a search on the forum for it. I see you are using a macro skimmer on your tank...how's the skimmate? You may need to reduce overfeeding the fishes to keep nitrates down if the skimmer had already kicked in.

Good luck and nice rock scaping... ;)

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

Mmm... Realize it not that my nitrate is high, it's the test kit that is not accurate... TetraTest... got to add one spoonful of some powder... that amount of spoonful can cause the result to flunctuate a lot.. it's impossible to regulate that amount of spoonful for every test, thus the varying result...

Bought a goby on friday... die on me today mornin(sunday)... so sad... this is the second goby that die in my tank... first was a signal(15-17 Jan '05), now is a white transparent(28-30 Jan '05)...

can anione explain what's wrong?.. why my tank can't support sand shifter goby?...

when at aquarium, both was very active... bt when bought home, first day will dig hole to hide(guess this is common), bt it wld come out to peck on my sandbed... by second day, it will be in its cave opening and closing its mouth as if panting, grasping for air... both had the same symptom... and eventually die... :cry2:

I believe that poor water quality amount to your problems & this causes diseases & stress that will make your LS ill. Check your pH, ammonia, and nitrite levels;partial water change is advisable.

cun be leh... my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level all every stable... although no test kit for pH... my other livestock quite healthy leh... got a coral beauty, firefish and cleaner shrimp...

• 2 weeks later...