Pl Lighting And I-box Overflow

expat701

Hi, i need some help with lighting and setting up an overflow.

Firstly the lighting... my new tank is only a 2 footer (2x1.5x1.5). I'm very interested in 55 watt PL lighting. I can use 2 or 3 or these fixtures over my tank and get strong light. I saw 2 foot, 55 watt PL fixtures in F*r E*st Pl*za and they were a good price. They were also a nice compact (slim) design. I'm concerned about the tubes that come with them.... they were white or white and blue or white and pink. I couldn't work out the kelvin rate of the lamps. If they came with good 10k lamps they would be perfect... Does anyone know about these PL fixtures? Any good? Where can I get good 55 watt 10k PL's Singapore?

Secondly, I'd like to buy an I-Box overflow and out a 2 foot refugium on my tank. I would like to connect the overflow to the sump via flexible hose. The sump would be a standard 2 foot tank. My problem is I don't know exactly how to do the plumbing or where to get the PVC bits, bulkheads, flexible tubing... I've never done my own reef plumbing before. Can someone please help me with this?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

i will leave the lighting part alone..nvr use PL b4 so i cannot comment :P

I-Box u will get it at full set...ie the bulkhead & PVC pipe is fixed for u oredy. So u dun hav to worry abt tat. As for the flexible hose, u can simply use the normal washing machine hose, secured by PVC glue. It works perfectly for my I-Box. :rolleyes:

I-Box is available at eaquanature

Thanks for the response dodo... washing machine hose sounds easy... you've not had any problems with this? The hose is not made of anything that is toxic? How did you connect it to your sump? What kind of bulkhead did you use? Where did you get it from?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I've no idea how to do this or where to get the gear.

• SRC Member
Thanks for the response dodo... washing machine hose sounds easy... you've not had any problems with this? The hose is not made of anything that is toxic? How did you connect it to your sump? What kind of bulkhead did you use? Where did you get it from?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I've no idea how to do this or where to get the gear.

no prob wif it. :)

toxic :nuke: i dunno...nvr cut a piece out send it for lab annalysist :P heheh...j/k...but i believe some uses washing machine hose & no side effects :)

:huh: fix the hose into the I-box & place the loose end to the sump :blink:

as i said...all PVC & bulkhead oredy in place for u together wif the I-Box. u need not worry too much on the PVC/bulkhead issue :)

i got it from a reefer previously...but u can get the same version from eAquanature. They will deliver to your place ;)

Edited by dodo

I'm probably too cautious... but I know not all plastics are safe to use in a fish tank. Some plastics can leach toxins into the water. For example years ago I used plastic flower pots to hold plants in a Discus tank. The Discus were all dead within a week. The only thing that had changed was the addition of the flower pots. I feel they may have leached something into the water that poisoned my fish.

How do you hold the loose end of the hose in your sump? I'm concerned if it's not fixed to say a bulkhead in the sump it may be knocked out and flood all over the floor.

• SRC Member
I'm probably too cautious... but I know not all plastics are safe to use in a fish tank. Some plastics can leach toxins into the water. For example years ago I used plastic flower pots to hold plants in a Discus tank. The Discus were all dead within a week. The only thing that had changed was the addition of the flower pots. I feel they may have leached something into the water that poisoned my fish.

How do you hold the loose end of the hose in your sump? I'm concerned if it's not fixed to say a bulkhead in the sump it may be knocked out and flood all over the floor.

ur concern is justified...but i really do not know if the plastic washing machine hose is toxic. I have reservation initially but if others are using it & didn't complain, I guess all is fine after all. So i had been using it ever since

regarding the securing/holding of the loose end to my sump...i have a piece of acrylic to press on top of the hose. It need not be something heavy, the water tat flows down is rather smooth & stable. If not u have to find ways to tie it (using cable tie) to something stable. but from wat i see, u use need something light to press onto the hose is more than sufficient

• SRC Member

Hi expat!

Dodo has answered most of your questions (Thanks Dodo) and I just want to add on. The I~Box comes in 2 forms. One is with a barb hose where you just use any 1" water hose. The other allows you to use a PVC pipe to your sum or a washing machine hose.

As in the picture taken from a shop with a LifeReef OFB in Abu Dhabi, you can also use a Union join just after the I~Box for easy maintanance! They are using PVC piping all the way.

To connecct to your sump, the method I used before was to place the hose in between the wool in your sump.

If you need help sourcing for PVC parts and installing let me know. I can help.

post-17-1062460662.jpg

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member
What about the PL lighting can anyone help me with this? I want good quality 55 watt, 10k PL lights in a compact fixture. Where's the best place to source?

if u insist on PL & willing to pay more, i would recommend Coralife PL. *Warning* Coralife PL dun come cheap.

Petmart seems to have some promo going on.

Personally I nvr use PL before, but I do know some facts about them.

• SRC Member

I agree with regularguy. It a good place to go to.

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you