VHO lights - anyone using

scarab

• SRC Member

Have seen a lot of threads in RC where they post saying they are using VHO actinics. And the photos they post are really really nice, with a nice glow to the corals.

What are these lights and is there anyone using in S'pore?

Would like to try it out after seeing the colours of the corals they posted. :yeah:

• SRC Member
Have seen a lot of threads in RC where they post saying they are using VHO actinics. And the photos they post are really really nice, with a nice glow to the corals.

What are these lights and is there anyone using in S'pore?

Would like to try it out after seeing the colours of the corals they posted. :yeah:

i dont think its in SG rite? havent heard of anything like that yet...

if have, it will beat T5s hands down pants down. but the electricity bills will surely be higher than T5s...

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

If higher output, use lesser tubes, ok what. Won't affect electricity bills. Lesser tubes easier to fit into the tank hood too.

Bro,

VHOs produce more light than NO-T8s, but they're less efficient than the T8s in terms of lumens/watt consumed. In other words, a 4' VHO at 110W consumes almost 3X that of a 4' NO 40W. But the output is still less than twice as much as the NO tubes. They were very popular once in the US, cos they could have more intensity with the same no. of tubes.

Over here, they never took off, I guess because we can't get VHO ballasts locally. Many years back, I bought an IceCap 660 (240V) to drive 3 pieces of 3' 95W Actinic blue tubes. Sure, the colour looks nice, but they still can't balance out the yellowness of Iwasaki 6500Ks.

Nowadays, with HO-T5s around, there's absolutely no reason to even consider VHOs anymore. The T5s are MUCH brighter at a lower power consumption, and I believe, cost less than VHOs as well.