Possible aquarium contamination: Experts needed!

My soapfish is the lone member of my 135 gallon aquarium. He has not eaten for more than 1.5 weeks, which is unusual. Also, when I am not looking, he will lie on his side and breathe feebly. Sometimes he swallows food then spits it out about 1/2 an hour later!

This may be due to the following reasons: 1) He was caught by cyanide.

2) There is contamination in the aquarium of excess aluminium sulphate, magnesium sulphate and/or 2-Chloro-4.5bis(ethylamino)-1,3,5-triazine.

3) Unknown cause or liver damage.

Water parameters: Salinity: 1.025

pH: 8.2

Temp: 25 degrees celcius

Nitrate and nitrite: negligible (Water is treated with water purifying powder and nitrifying bacteria.)

Someone please diagnose the problem and help me treat him ASAP!!!

A stressed soapfish may even become susceptible to its own toxins.... I am not sure... but it could be a possible reason.

Have you tried a water change with new GAC? They are very hardy fishes...

• SRC Member
This may be due to the following reasons: 1) He was caught by cyanide.

2) There is contamination in the aquarium of excess aluminium sulphate, magnesium sulphate and/or 2-Chloro-4.5bis(ethylamino)-1,3,5-triazine.

3) Unknown cause or liver damage.

All the best

Hi matong,

it could be any 1 or 2 or both.

point 3(liver damage) is related to usage of No.2

If it is liver damage, there's nothing much you can do - even for humans.

A) It would be best to stop the usage of your chemicals-

2-Chloro-4.5bis(ethylamino)-1,3,5-triazine is a component of an algae killer product (algae stopper 90) ? so far i only found it used in koi ponds-& it killed koi as well) :huh:

There are other methods to stop algae which are more gentle and natural to your livestocks.

1,3,5 triazine is used as a disinfectant, industrial deodorant and biocide in water treatment. It is also used as a bleaching agent. If ingested can cause gastrointestinal or liver problems.

B ) Aluminium sulphate? used in water treatment to remove colour and non-filterable matter in raw waters.

Aluminium levels are limited in drinking Water Regulations. So if its tap water, the levels should be too low to cause anything....... BUT high levels will cause gastrointestinal symptoms and long term exposure in high levels will cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, rarely haemorrhagic gastritis, circulatory collapse and multi-organ failure. . Long term exposure may also lead to Alzheimer's disease.(although i don't think think this will matter to your situation).

C) Magnesium sulphate? from Epsom salts???Any excess amounts are quickly expelled by the body,It can however create a problem with kidney disease and toxic reactions to high levels of magnesium, include muscle weakness, coma, hypertension, and confusion.

It could be any reason- its like picking a lottery number, BUT you can narrow the range down.

*At best you can try for a 30% water change a week for a month and stop using the algae treatment.

*Use your water purifying powder for mixing water a few days before adding to the aquarium(age the water)- IF you add this directly into the aquarium. Stop using it for a while.

* you may want to try running GAC(activated carbon) 1gram per gallon of water, change carbon after 3 days. Run for 1 week.

That's about it at best, but no promise.

There is no medicine and nothing to use for treatment except improve the environment its in.

All the best

:)

Should it be best if I transferred the fish to a new tank, to eliminate the supposed causes mentioned while the fish takes time to heal itself (if it will)? Also, I do not have a skimmer!!! The poor fish may be releasing toxins around the main tank at the moment, as it is rather cloudy all of a sudden. You are right about the name of the algae product, that is the exact product I have been using. If this helps, the bran of the obscure purifying powder is BADUN Magic Purifying Powder. Not a good product, but those who know it may be able to tell their experiences (This may be the cause of excess aluminium sulphate). Epsom salts was used a few monts earlier to cure other fishes that were in the tank of cloudy eye. (believe me, it helps) As a note, there was no infection present anytime except now that resembles what has happened. Pls enlighten further!

• SRC Member

It could be too late but maybe transferring to a new tank may help- that is the new tank should have clean aged saltwater(not newly mixed) - some sort of filtration or bubbling airline for water motion. A protein skimmer if possible.

It will act as a quarantine. Meanwhile you will have to deal with your main tank's water.

A major water change and running activated carbon would be a good idea.

A protein skimmer would be a good choice equipment to add on, you don't need to spend thousands of $- something rated for your volume will be fine.

You should stop using that algae killer product. You may want to also stop that magic thingy, there is no magic :ph34r: just better filtration.

You can just use a dechorinator when you make up new salt water.

Nothing wrong about the epsom salts if used correctly.

Now that my soapfish is in a new tank, how should I go about cleaning up the tank? Carbon was suggested, but do you think I should just throw all the water away (after all it is contaminated). What about the gravel, bioballs, filter matting/pads etc?

• SRC Member

Major water change - as much as 70-80% if u can.

Then add carbon and run the tank for a week or 2. Pop in a skimmer.

should be fine.

There was no solid conclusion that its contaminated- if it was the algae stuff, then water change & carbon should clear it.

Don't disturb bioballs at the moment.

• SRC Member

erm....Means you will have to man-handle the fish to do it.

Eels will eat anything or at least try to eat anything.

Marine hunters can go a while without food, and a little live food seem to always get them back into mode.

For the soapfish - a few live prawns (small enough to fit the fish's mouth) should get the attention of the fish. If it doesn't then i guess you really got not much of a choice.

erm....Means you will have to man-handle the fish to do it.

Nope, you can anaesthetize the fish with clove oil. Then insert a tube down the oesophagus and pump in the food.

The soapfish ate a tiny piece of squid on its own accord! Hoping for more improvement. Fish is slightly more active today. :D

• 2 weeks later...

If I dump everything in the tank and leave just the gravel and bioballs, will the amount of contaminants still be lethal? (In a previous post by bawater what was being referred to was the algae product, but not the aluminium sulphate.) Can all the contaminants be removed by activated carbon? HELP!!!

• SRC Member

There will be trace quantities in the gravel and filter pads/balls etc.

If you wash your gravel, don't touch your bioballs at the same time or you will upset your filtration balance.

water change. 2 or 3 times.

Running carbon at 1gram per gallon volume , change after 3 days. Do 3 changes and leave the last batch of carbon for a week.

With water changes and carbon, most of it should be diluted or reduce to trace quantities.

The aluminium sulphate levels will be quite low since its from a water conditioner, again water changes and dilution factor lowers it.

If you had corals -then it would be a different scenario but for fish, should be fine.