How BIG a skimmer do I really need?

riot

• SRC Member
Hi all.

Thanks very much for the wonderful advice and exciting exchange. It had been great fun reading this thread and knowing that a heck of lot of people tuned in to this issue. Will keep you all updated when the deltec arrives. Thanks once again to all the help.

Wishing all who posted in my little thread the only thing red that you receive is Ang Pows, not cyano ;) A Happy and Propserous Chinese New Year!!!

Too late, got cyano liao.. hehehehe Happy Chinese New Year dude and sorry I helped to messed up your thread :) Deltec Rocks! hehehe (couldnt help it)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
:lol:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

alfa,

you should ask deltec to make car decals for you to paste on your alfa romeo :lol:

"DELTEC ROCKS"

or a bumper sticker "KING OF ROCK AIN'T ELVIS, IT'S ME, COS I HAVE DELTEC AND IT ROCKS " :lol:

Can charge them Advertising fees or not? I kena flame chialat2 in the thread and I dunt earn a single cent! hehehehe... very stupid of me! LOL!

• SRC Member

Would like to commend Edmund on his service. Despite Chinese New Year, he slogged through making arrangments with his supplier to rush my AP850. Instead of the 3-6 weeks I was expecting, good old Eddie will be sending the Deltec to me by next Sat! Woooopppppeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Now I gonna get my pipe connectors ready. Anyone (namely Weileong actually) knows how to plumb the output from the Deltec? Does it come with pvc piping? Thinking of running a connector and then plastic washing machine hosing to my sump(sitting right next to it).

• SRC Member

riot

If you did not get the installation kit, you can actually do your own fixed pipe connections. It is cheaper this way but will need some time to fix it up. Personally I prefered it this way, however not sure about weileong. I will advice not using the washing machine hose as their wall thickness is very thin and will cause leak in the long term. All you need is:

For outlet:

1xd32 union, some length d32 pipe, 1x end cap d32, some course sponge to filter out the micro bubbles.

For inlet:

1xd25 union, some length d25 pipe, some d25 elbows or d25 hose connectors, some silicone hose to dampen any vibrations. I mention some because do not know what pump you are using to feed the inlet and these will depend on individual requirements on connection to the pump.

Maybe weileong can provide some input according to his setup.

• SRC Member

Oh, I forgot. You will need for the outlet 1 piece elbow or long bend. You do not need the T connector as the skimmer already has one on the outlet pipe to let the bubbles break up and reduce micro bubbles to return to sump.

As for the feed from chiller, you will have to decide the correct size of fittings or hose. Note the inlet of skimmer is just a d25 union. You will need to fit a hose connector or short length of pipe of DIN standard so that you can fix a hose and tighten with 316 or 304 stainless hose clip.

• SRC Member

Think best if you can take a look at the actual thing. Can ask weileong to pop by his house to take a look. I will leaving in the afternoon and only back on Sunday night. You are most welcome to drop by after that. Just PM me.

ahhhhh..... I see. So of different from the HS, as it comes with the hose nozzle to plug in the rubber hose from the feeder pump. Ok, so a short piece of d25 with nozzle plus a d35 piping

d32 size piping bro...not d35

if u just need a short d25, i can pass a couple of inches to you...just connect a hose with inner diameter of 25mm (eheim 25/34 or hardware shop hose) and hoseclip it and you are on your way to feeding your skimmer...you can bypass the d25 hose adaptor.

post-17-1108090956.jpg

• SRC Member

whoa! the input is so large?!? And I was thinking of plugging the 3/4 inch 16/22mm hose from my chiller right into the skimmer. Will have to pay a visit to the hardware store at Petmart there soon. I intend to get all the necc supplies so that when the skimmer arrives, I can get it roaring on the same day.

Petmart hardware shop there don't sell DIN standard :P

You can order from Hai Cheong. They do carry the DIN end connectors for the FIP valves but requires 1 day order in advance.

If you need help let me know :P

I need to go source the valves, fittings for my APF600 which will come in together with your AP850. You're lucky bro considering that some of us waited for quite a while for deltec to sort out the shipping stuffs.

the hose adaptor on your H&S is d16 i believe, thats why the 16/22 eheim hose with an inner diameter of 16mm can mate to the H&S d16 easily.

but no problem here if u dun mind some untidiness:

get your 16/22 hose to mate to a short 19/27 hose

- means u squeeze the 22mm outer diameter into the 19mm inner diameter,secure the joint with clip or glue

and then squeeze the 19/27 hose into the 25/34 hose

- means squeeze the 27mm outer diameter into the 25mm innner diameter, secure the joint with clip or glue and there u go....u solved the inlet problem :D

means u have the 16/22 joining a 19/27 which joins the 25/34 which eventually mate with the d25 pipe/hose adaptor that will feed your skimmer. or u get proper pvc reducer fittings will look much neater :lol:

as for your return of d32mm piping, i got none to spare you because after using some for my quattro and some for the 1004, nothing left, but maybe got some elbows and misc fittings if u want to buy u can PM me.

but u are lucky, the normal hardware shop so-called 25mm size is a close fit for the d32 size standard ;) The rest, are misfits :lol: so remember go hardwareshops dun buy 32mm for your d32..... :P

Go hai cheong order the D25 FIP valve with DIN end connector on one end.

Then order the SCH80 end connector on the other end.

On this end get a reducer to reduce to D20 (3/4") then install a hose adaptor.

Use ehiem 16/22 fleixble house then dip in warm water to soften it then definately you can push it into the hose adaptor.

All these less than $30.