tips on keeping common clown

hi guys,

i got this headache problem that i never solved.i NEVER succeed in keeping common clowns since day 1 of marine keeping. they are suppose to be hardy.

other species that i tried got no problem.only these common clown.anyone can give me a clue on where i go wrong? thanks!

fyi: tried keeping them in 2,3,4 footers of FOWLR.water parameters in acceptible

ranges.

• SRC Member

one thing i know, you cant add a new clown of the same size to the existing one/group into your tank, sure die of being bullied.

Never mind how many caves and hiding spot you have, it wont work on them, cos the new comers will always want to hang around with the old bird, and that's when the trouble begins.

If your existing clownfish are hosting an anemone, then only when you add another anemone together with the new clown then chances of survival are better. Frogspawn, xenia, jewel also can.

• SRC Member
hi guys,

i got this headache problem that i never solved.i NEVER succeed in keeping common clowns since day 1 of marine keeping. they are suppose to be hardy.

other species that i tried got no problem.only these common clown.anyone can give me a clue on where i go wrong? thanks!

fyi: tried keeping them in 2,3,4 footers of FOWLR.water parameters in acceptible

ranges.

Bro,

What are the other fishes?

Can describe a litte bit more abt your tank.

• SRC Member

mostly like is clown bullyin clown lor...i used to have 1 pair of oscellaris clown and 1 pair of clarkii clown..

tot they will live in harmony..cos everyone got pattern.. ITE, i only left with 2 oscellaris clown and they are mated pair now...

pretty territorial i must say.. ;)

• SRC Member
hi guys,

Have you tried taking them to the circus? :P Just kidding.

In our part of the world most of these clowns are caught with cyanide and that's why most of them do not survive well, even they are not caught with cyanide, the mortality rate from the time they were caught until it reaches your home can be as high as 90% because these are delicate fishes and easily succumb to stress. I don't have success with this clowns except for true perculas. When you read books that say this clown is hardy, they refer to those captive bred ones which are available in the US.

I suppose you can try to very slowly accilimatise them in a very peaceful aquarium with little or no fishes or buy from those who is giving up the hobby and has this fish for a few months, your chances of success would be better.