orange polyp not opening....

nicholas_yeo

guys, need some help.

My zoos not opening now after in the tank for 2 wks. It used to open... but I intro a clown fish and it was swimming all over it till its polyp refused to open. Now, even the clown fish is not around. The zoos is not returning back to normal... :(

I place it in 'medium' flow rate area with moderate lighting....

condition

temp: 26 - 27 degC

Salinity 1.024

kH: 8

Calcium: 400 ppm

Phosphate: <0.1ppm (but no algae bloom so far)

Rest of iodine / magnesium / strontium are added wkly but no test kits to check.

i add zooplanktons and Phytoplankton ..... wkly , the rest of the corals looks okay. Dunno what could be causing the stress....

post-7-1109232775.jpg

• SRC Member
guys, need some help.

My zoos not opening now after in the tank for 2 wks. It used to open... but I intro a clown fish and it was swimming all over it till its polyp refused to open. Now, even the clown fish is not around. The zoos is not returning back to normal... :(

I place it in 'medium' flow rate area with moderate lighting....

condition

temp: 26 - 27 degC

Salinity 1.024

kH: 8

Calcium: 400 ppm

Phosphate: <0.1ppm (but no algae bloom so far)

Rest of iodine / magnesium / strontium are added wkly but no test kits to check.

i add zooplanktons and Phytoplankton ..... wkly , the rest of the corals looks okay. Dunno what could be causing the stress....

sorry to hear that boss. I have the same polyps...they're beautiful

• SRC Member

When buttons are not opening, chances are you got the button nudibranch. They are parasites.

You can try fresh water dip for 5 mins. I recommend you time your dipping sessions as the buttons may not survive if you dip for too long. Good luck.

• SRC Member

Actually, from my understanding, the eggs has to be removed manually. The fresh water dip and the lugols solution will only kill the hatched ones.

But I also realised that once the buttons recovered from the initial attack, they seems more resilient to subsequent attacks.

• SRC Member

as heard lugo is best used to dip your corals before introducing them into ur tank to rid parasites...

Lugol's Solution

Description:

Bio-Available Iodine Supplement

Type:

Marine Water Supplement

Available In:

1oz

Part Numbers:

LS1

Description:

Kent Lugol's Solution provides a strong source of free iodine and iodide to reef inhabitants and macroalgae. Although it’s very effective when used with stony corals, systems containing xenia and soft corals are particularly benefited by the use of Lugol’s Solution. Used as a dip for stony and soft or leather corals, Lugol’s will help rid the animals of unwanted parasites and harmful bacteria. This product helps foster improved coloration and prevents bleaching of all corals due to changes in light intensity, and enhances coral polyp expansion. Kent Lugol's Solution provides a key nutrient for marine invertebrates and fishes, and contains no phosphate, nitrate, gluconate, or other sugars.

post-7-1109242772.gif