Radical Idea of cycling a tank

• SRC Member

I now have a 2.5x2x2 tank that matured and stable (more than 2 years). I am planning to start a 4x2x2 tank but due to my other renovation plans, may not have time to fully cycle my new tank before transferring my current LS and corals to it.

What if I cycle my new tank for 1 week with some new LR and sand, then move the whole contents of old tank over including the water, LR etc (excluding the DSB). Think my LS can take the "stress"....

I was think my "live" LR will probably still be able to handle the bioload (have quite a bit if it) and its essentially a sudden 60% change in seawater (about 40% will be from my old tank).

Views....???

• SRC Member

I don't think it's radical at all.

That's more or less what I did when I upgraded my tank last November.

You may read about it in my tank thread.

I transferred everything (except DSB because I didn't have one anyway)

in matter of days. Cycling with LRs is fine. Just make sure you get good

quality LRs - that's what I did. I'm not a fan of cycling with the market

prawn method.

But it may be better to take it slow if you don't have confidence in your

existing LS and LR. Do monitor your water quality if you're not sure.

Good luck. :)

• SRC Member
Thanks for the comments. Will start posting pics once my tank stuff starts delivery. My stand is coming tomorrow. 4 x 2 x 3.5 (yes, 3.5 feet tall!)

so u got yr diving gear ready?!?!

:P:P:P

seriously... pls tell us how u are aquascaping and maintaining your tank...

i really like to know.... when i maintain my 3 feet high tank.... i just feel like reaching for the sledge hammer....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

you can boost up the cycling with bacteria starter, think Aquapharm has a good product here. with the bacteria starter, it will definately helps alot. its qite ok to add in your existing old LR to the new tank but i caution you to get a test kit before risking your LS.

I will also use the existing sand from the old tank. you dun know how much good stuff there is to seed your tank.

• SRC Member
I will also use the existing sand from the old tank. you dun know how much good stuff there is to seed your tank.

Oh yes, that's right. I also used a few cups of my previous MMud to seed the new DSB. I believe it's the seeding that helped the new DSB sprang to life within only a few short weeks. :yeah:

• SRC Member

My arms are at least 4 feet long... ha ha like a monkey..... No lah.. if you see my message, it says 3.5 feet tall tank STAND. My tank is the standard 4x2x2... :)

I am 1.85 m tall so i wanted a taller stand in order to view the tank at my line of sight. For shorties... too bad... opps... :)

First pic of my stand.... no tank yet... the brown patches are oxide paint to protect the key joints from potential rusting in future.. The whole tank will be covered up by the time my carpenter does his work so the patches will be hidden.

post-6-1109597168.jpg

• SRC Member

I am afraid your stand does not look too steady, the legs looks thin. Then again looks can be deceiving.

BTW I have also upgraded my tank this way, transfer the whole LR and livestock over and some sand from the old tank. I premix the saltwater a few days earlier and add in about 50% of new LR as most of the LR are already cycled at the LFS.

• SRC Member

The bars are 2 inches thick all round and I think it should be strong enough (I hope....) It will only support tank itself and the hood plus others will be suspended from the celing.

Any one out there using 2 inches bar on a 4x2x2 and surviving.... :)