Iwaki MX100 vs RD 10m3

roidan

still got other issues like the cost needed to cool the water of a 200W internal pump leh? no joke man....at least the iwaki is external and got fan to blow and the water path is kept away from the hot motor housing....phew :D

actually i was thinking of finding cooling heat sinks for the iwakis....anyone seen those curved cooling fins around? been quite a while since i went sim lim tower....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...now you are comparing a pump that is 1/10 the price of RD, but use 200% of electricity.  How to compare? :)

why cannot compare?

Remember you post before that it will take many years for the higher electrical bills to offset the difference in price.

Any logic in that? How come the sudden interest in RD then lol.

actually not only patrick lah...

i also calculated before that it takes about 3years before the RD will be a cheaper purchase+running option compared to the iwaki (note: model dependent)....but that was comparing the RRP of the RD to HK iwaki price....actually if we compare RRP of RD and local RRP of iwaki from iwaki singapore...then probably about the same or iwaki may cost even more liao....

but i saw the offer from sugi here and couldn't resist....at this resale price, i cannot tahan the lure of the RD :lol:

imagine cheaper purchase cost (due to resale price), cheaper running cost, cheaper cooling bills (supposed), quiet operation......who in his sane mind can refuse? :lol:

anyway, i buy liao also chain the dragon in my cage(storeroom), either my friend will be taking it over from me or i will use it for my next tank ;)

Roidan, for your logic I could fully understand. That is why in my previous I said that the Iwaki are hard to beat for their price & performance when sourced from Hong Kong.

However my comments are for his comment on the pump that cost 1/10 the price of the RD and draws 200% more power. Like to know how hot that pump runs :P

• SRC Member
Roidan, for your logic I could fully understand. That is why in my previous I said that the Iwaki are hard to beat for their price & performance when sourced from Hong Kong.

However my comments are for his comment on the pump that cost 1/10 the price of the RD and draws 200% more power. Like to know how hot that pump runs :P

I don't know how hot is my atman pump as it is submersible in the tank. I know one thing for sure though, my Atman chiller was running pretty hard for my 6ft tank. :)

I have recently daisy chain another smaller chiller to it, so I have 1/2 + 1/4 hp = 3/4 hp running for my tank now. I seems to be able to maintain 26 degrees eventhough before, I could not even do it at 27.

May be I may consider running my atman pump external, but don't know whether how long this pump can last without proper heat disipation.

• SRC Member

I run it in sump for 1 year liao. Still kicking. Touch wood 3 times. You are right. To run it dry may overheat it very fast since it doesn't have fan like the iwaki.

I would have opt for the iwaki MD-55 for my return pump if not because of the noise.

BTW, is quietone a very reliable pump too?

I run it in sump for 1 year liao.  Still kicking.  Touch wood 3 times.  You are right.  To run it dry may overheat it very fast since it doesn't have fan like the iwaki.

I would have opt for the iwaki MD-55 for my return pump if not because of the noise.

I heard you ordered (confirm + chop won't run away one) a 10000 l/h red dragon abt 3 weeks ago, what happened?

• SRC Member
I run it in sump for 1 year liao. Still kicking. Touch wood 3 times. You are right. To run it dry may overheat it very fast since it doesn't have fan like the iwaki.

I put back my quiet one after selling the RD to Roidan.

RD was good pump but I have to sell due to other reason.

I find quiet one is good and cheap.

I think the quiet one is one of those pump that can operate in and out of water reliably, as can see from some CR thats uses it, and i also observe that its not as hot as the ehiem.

Cheers,

some threads about QueitOne pumps....and i mean some only....

"What a frigging lie that name is!

As Doctor Evil might say, "It's semi-quiet. It's quasi-quiet. It's the margarine of quiet. It's the Diet Coke of Quiet. Just one calorie, not Quiet enough."

This thing hums, rattles, and whatever else it can do. I have it plumbed with flex line to reduce vibration, and have the pump sitting on not only an old mousepad, but the gel wrist support from a mouse pad. We're talking like 3-4" of padding here. This thing is still loud. I can't really return it, so it's about to become semi-expensive salt mixer."

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=496215

"I had 2 they did run very hot though. The external got so hot it melted the case and the submerged one seized up."

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=485950

bottomline is that it is of inconsistent quality and a risk to take if using it for critical purposes.

• SRC Member
Ya lor, can promise you 1001 things say die die confirm order but end up see what happened? pengz <_<<_<<_<

You don't know the story so don't anyhow wack. I have been avoiding confrontation with you for a while and enough is enough. Is there something you have against me or what?

I have called and ordered the RD 2 weeks before CNY. I was told that the pump should come in before CNY. I waited and called many times, but before CNY, become after CNY, after CNY still not in. I was again told that the pump would have come in on 19 Feb. I gave it extra days and on 23 Feb when I called, the pump was still not in. I was told that there is a huge backlog due to the big order in the USA. I told the shop that I would wait until 26 Feb, and by then if it still doesn't come, I cannot wait any longer. I didn't receive any call.

If a dealer is really interested to push the stock, he/she should stock up the equipment instead of ordering piece by piece and have the customer wait for so long. What happen if my pump die? My tank would have crashed waiting for the pump.

• SRC Member

Sorry I might be a little bit off topic..

What about Rio 32HF? Max H: 4.3 m, ~7000 l/h (can't recall accurately) of flowrate. 120W. Only $110+. Anyone has experience with this pump running in 4-5 feet tank?

Looking at the impellar design I know this is a pretty good and efficient pump (I am a mech eng. so I know how important impellar design is to do with the pump's efficiency).

Rio doesn't have a consistent good track record with its products amongst the broad base of users in the states....but definitely affordable and offers good paper technical specs....but as with most products of its league, tendency to overrate the specs and again intermittent quality problems from this brand.

it's a matter of how much risk one is willing to take when he decides to use this pump or that pump and how critical the application is to the user...

put it in another way.....if iwakis, eheims, rios, quietones make aircraft engines...

would one prefer to fit iwaki,eheim engines or rather fit rios on the aircraft and willing to take a failure risk for a 'supposed equivalent' performance at cheaper price ;)

• SRC Member

You don't know the story so don't anyhow wack. I have been avoiding confrontation with you for a while and enough is enough. Is there something you have against me or what?

I have called and ordered the RD 2 weeks before CNY. I was told that the pump should come in before CNY. I waited and called many times, but before CNY, become after CNY, after CNY still not in. I was again told that the pump would have come in on 19 Feb. I gave it extra days and on 23 Feb when I called, the pump was still not in. I was told that there is a huge backlog due to the big order in the USA. I told the shop that I would wait until 26 Feb, and by then if it still doesn't come, I cannot wait any longer. I didn't receive any call.

If a dealer is really interested to push the stock, he/she should stock up the equipment instead of ordering piece by piece and have the customer wait for so long. What happen if my pump die? My tank would have crashed waiting for the pump.

well I dont agree to your saying...

u see for yourself even the US dealer also do the same thing as our local dealer doing..

They never stock up and will order the equipments when a customer order...

You try online order from sewatec lor.. try order something that is in a hugeblock out and u see sewatec will ship u the time fast or not...

a rd pump is not like Atman so dam cheap ok... one pump cost over 1000, and how many u expect the dealer to stock up? 1 or 2 even he stock up one or 2 everyday also got alot of customer buying by his stock up rd also no stock...

if he going to stock up 10 rd pump.. u think he print money huh... can afford to stock up over 10K of pump, if he can stock up that amt like that he dont even need to work lor...

he also dont sell only 1 equipments ok. If every equipment also need to stock up you go cal how much money he have to spend on risk.

If let say even he got money to stock up.. e.g. a rd pump selling 1K because of the stock up and risk he sell you $1500, u prefer which way. paying $1K for a rd pump and wait or paying $1.5K and dont wait...

Also for your info hor, if you order something u must either pay in full or a despoit amt hor. It's the same when u buy thing online, you have to pay full when u never see the things yet.

• SRC Member
Rio doesn't have a consistent good track record with its products amongst the broad base of users in the states....but definitely affordable and offers good paper technical specs....but as with most products of its league, tendency to overrate the specs and again intermittent quality problems from this brand.

it's a matter of how much risk one is willing to take when he decides to use this pump or that pump and how critical the application is to the user...

put it in another way.....if iwakis, eheims, rios, quietones make aircraft engines...

would one prefer to fit iwaki,eheim engines or rather fit rios on the aircraft and willing to take a failure risk for a 'supposed equivalent' performance at cheaper price ;)

Bro Roidan I got what u mean.. well after all it all boils down to performance & reliability vs. price... may be can buy 2-3 RIOS as backup or change one every year to markedly reduce the possibility of pump damage/failure since it's so cheap :lol:

• SRC Member

Bro Roidan I got what u mean.. well after all it all boils down to performance & reliability vs. price... may be can buy 2-3 RIOS as backup or change one every year to markedly reduce the possibility of pump damage/failure since it's so cheap :lol:

if u got read and search in rc.. alot in rc complain their RIOS can even catch fire.. so be careful and i never trust RIOS too much for the flow rate stated.

the problem is that even if one changes an unreliable pump every year.....it doesnt mitigate the possibility that the new pump get fried or screw up weeks or just months into its use....

even change half yearly......an unreliable pump is an unreliable pump....it can just stop working when u least expect it to...

but of coz if one feels that there is not much at stake in his system and he is willing to take the risk...by all means he can choose a wide range of pumps..

but for some like me who have a lot to lose, it is probably easier on the conscience knowing that we have spared no expense or effort in our systems and even if disaster does happen, at least we can go easy on ourselves knowing that we did not risk it all by trying to shortchange a couple of dollars or even hundreds on our system.....

money spent in our systems is one thing....the effort that took us from the beginning to present tank state....priceless :)

penny wise-pound foolish? ;)