Bl@@dy Irritating Lobster!

hi all,

I've a lobster problem. Its abt 2.5 cm in length and its been diggin up sand from under my rocks. Some how, i believe it is linked to a mysterious dissappearance of my Bi coloured blenny...

In any case, I've been tryin unsuccessfully to trap the crustatean and its been taunting me time after time by scavenging for food scraps while i'm still going abt feeding. This punk has no respect wat so ever for me at all ! :nuke:

I'm pretty sure it isnt a mantis, though i think i've seen a smaller mantis, red in color, abt 2 mths back, haven seen it since.

I've tried the crab trap while the mineral bottles, and the pvc pipe trap. I've even tried to net the entire rock with 1 inch of sand.... so far, i've accomplished nothing other then to scare the living daylights out of my goby, whom might i add, now flips into complete frenzy when my hand touches the water.... :cry:

any solutions or proven techniques?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

What kind of lobster do u think it is... any pics? The behaviour sounds more like that of a mantis or a pistol shrimp than a lobster.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Think lobster are more of scavenger... dun think it will attack your bi- colour blenny

Some lobsters can be quite predatory...especially if he meant the reef lobsters. I am keeping a lobster with my pipefish..it's behaving because he has no legs adapted for catching fish. It does'nt even have pincers. Mostly at night come out and shift through my sand.. :D

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Some lobsters can be quite predatory...especially if he meant the reef lobsters. I am keeping a lobster with my pipefish..it's behaving because he has no legs adapted for catching fish. It does'nt even have pincers. Mostly at night come out and shift through my sand.. :D

wah kou.......... treat your lobster till like this

wah kou.......... treat your lobster till like this

It's those type you find in the restaurants..those with thick long feelers but dun have pincers big enough to actually catch fish. Mainly feed on dead stuff and things in your debris. Mine was given to me by a friend as it kept jumping out of his tank. It's still small..about the length of index finger w/o the feelers. Body blue in color..the tail is luminous green (jade-like). Very nice and gentle giant. My harlequin shrimp just chased it away from its precious sea star. :D

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

hi ya all,

thanks for the ideas in culinary Lobster delights. However, I think Dazza is rite, its a pistol shrimp, makes this snappin sound at night, and excavates my tank for the heck of it :pinch:

Btw, I now know why i was able to catch the bugger, seems that my goby was coverin his ###### all this while :yeah:

The name Symbiotic Shrimp comes from the equally beneficial relationship the Pistol Shrimp has with gobies (e.g.;Amblyeleotris or Stonogobiops). The goby, with better eyesight, warns the shrimp of predators. The shrimp share its food with the goby. Depending upon the species, Pistol Shrimp may also have symbiotic relationships with sponges, corals, or anemones

anyway, i've decided to let him be for the time being, till i find a way to "ReLocate" him.

:thanks::peace:

post-21-1062779506.jpg

• SRC Member

great to hv pistol shrimp with goby. Makes the hobby more interesting by watching the symbiotic relationship between the 2.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :